Ann Mossy on Modeling and Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Ann Mossy is an interior design student, actress and model. When she isn’t doing tedious projects, she spends her weekends going to casting calls and auditions. The modeling industry is very exclusive and challenging. I mean we’ve all seen episodes of America’s Next Top Model. But what is it like to be in the industry? How do you maintain a positive body image in an industry that caters to a specific body type? I sat down with Ann to find out.

Image courtesy of Studio Prime Time, Jig Pat.

Jordan Di Pirro: When did you start modeling?

Ann Mossy: I started modeling at the age of sixteen.

Image courtesy of Acquille Designa Dunkley Outfit: YeAr Zhu.

JD: How do you cope with trying to stay fit for your job while having a positive body image?

AM: It can be difficult at times … I honestly find that when someone works out and stays active and healthy, self-confidence will come along with that. It can be difficult sometimes though, because everyone’s body is different, and in the industry sometimes people even say that I’m too “fat” or I’m “not tall enough.” Just making sure that I reassure myself usually helps me through it. I have to tell myself that everyone’s body is different and not to change who I am or my body type to fit superficial standards that my industry sets for me.

JD: Do you have any tips for maintaining a positive body image?

AM: I think the best tips I can give are to never try and change who you are and how your body is naturally just because society says something is “beautiful.” Everyone is designed to be a certain way, and everyone is beautiful in his or her own way.

JD: With plus size models like Ashley Graham, do you think the modeling industry is becoming more accepting?

AM: Well, I think in some ways yes and in some ways no. I remember when I was a little girl seeing top models on the runway and they were between sizes like 8-12 and they were absolutely stunning! Unfortunately, as the years passed and the industry changed, models just got skinnier and unhealthier looking. They focused more on being thin rather than just being healthy. However, I think that now since there are new role models emerging (such as Ashley Graham) the industry is beginning to be more accepting. I still think it will be a slower process for bigger brands (like Victoria’s Secret and such), but I think the industry as a whole will come around soon enough.

Image courtesy of  ADunkley Designs Clothing: YeAr Zhu.

JD: How do you handle the stereotypes (ex. models being dumb) that models face? This answer is probably going to be punch the person in the face …

AM: Haha, yeah … Sometimes it is punch them in the face! Although, if it is a client who is saying these things, it can be really hard to stay professional especially since you don’t want to blow the shoot and get fired for talking back! There are kind ways of telling people to f*ck off though. So I usually just go with that.

Image courtesy of ADunkley Designs Clothing: YeAr Zhu.

JD: Also, being an actress, you have to change your image for roles sometimes. How do you balance between changing for the role while still trying to stay yourself? How do you keep that sense of self?

AM: Well, when it comes to acting I usually just treat it like a light switch. When it’s time to go to work and play a character, I just flip the light switch on and I go in to character. Once the cameras stop rolling and they yell ‘cut,’ I have to switch it back off. I like to try and remain myself in-between takes, unless it’s a more serious/heartfelt role, then I will sometimes let the role consume me while I am on set, just to bring the character to life a bit more. 

To see more of Ann Mossy’s work check out her SCAD portfolio page.

Jordan Di Pirro was born in Detroit, Michigan. She lived there for most of her life until coming to Atlanta for school. At SCAD she is a television production major with a minor in writing. She may or may not have a Harry Potter obsession. Her friends are currently planning an intervention on her behalf. Please send an email if interested in attending.