This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Going to college and spending time away from home is one thing, but working my first job at 18 years old was a unique experience. It was something I did not know I was ready for. 

When I came to college, I was 17. I always had the idea of getting a job on campus, but I thought I would not be able to get one until the spring semester. Luckily, I was able to find one. When it was my first day, I was nervous. My mother never let me have a summer job because she always told me she wanted me to “still be a kid.” She wanted me to enjoy my summer. Looking back on that conversation, I understand why. As much as I enjoy the work environment, it can be stressful at times. But even though there is stress, it is all worth it in the end. Ever since I started working there, I have loved it.  

This job means more than having a job and making money, it is about gaining independence. When I moved to college in August, it was the first time I did not have my parents with me. It was the first time I had made my own decisions. When I got this job, I felt proud of myself, knowing I took the next step into making a choice that would affect me for the better.  

One of the things I enjoy most about my job is interacting with people. At the beginning of the school year, I was either not a people-person or thought people were secretly judging me and did not want to talk to me. But because of my job, I was able to interact with people more often. Not only that, when I am helping people with what food to pick out, it makes me feel good knowing that I was able to assist someone, even if it is about what will satisfy their appetite.  

If you are thinking about getting a job during college, there is something you should keep in mind. I get it, you are a broke college student and want money to support yourself. But get a job that will not only make you money but also make you want to get up and go to work. Get a job that you will enjoy doing for a long time.  

Olivia Francis is a first-year member of the Her Campus at SBU chapter. She oversees the site’s culture, entertainment, and wellness verticals on the site, including mental health, relationships, TV shows, and movie coverage. Olivia is currently a first-year student majoring in Communications, Social Justice & Advocacy at St. Bonaventure University. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia has been published in many anthropologies over the years through an organization called Young Writers. In her free time, Olivia enjoys writing poetry and short stories, along with taking walks while listening to her favorite music genres on Spotify such as Pop or R&B. One of her goals is to travel the world someday and explore new foods and customs. An interesting fact about Olivia is she is not only the first college gen student but, she is the first female in her family to go for a higher education.