This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Less than 3 days into the first week of classes, I received an email from Dr. Wilkins, a professor at the Jandoli School. The email was vague, stating only the time and place and asking if we liked pepperoni pizza.

I couldn’t make the time the event was at, so I met Dr. Wilkins in his office instead. After talking for about 15 minutes, he handed me an envelope. Inside the envelope is an index card with the word “purpose” scribbled on it in blue marker. 

Apparently, this is something that happens every semester, with each selected student receiving a unique word to consider throughout the next few months.

My roommate and I hung our index cards on our wall as a constant reminder of our assignment. 

What is my purpose? The question literally looms over me every morning, and it’s quite a daunting question for a freshman in college.

At first, I considered my purpose as my overall goals. Like, what do I want to do with my life? I have no idea.

Nevertheless, I attempted to tackle this universal question within three months. I am a proud communications student, and I do not stand for any slander of communications as a major.

However, the stereotypes proved to be true this semester — I had no work to do. So, I spent my time researching potential jobs and internships and putting together a resume.

I feverously planned out my classes for the rest of my time here and crafted for my new goal of graduating early and starting my masters here while I would still be on an athletic scholarship. 

I had baselessly decided that I was switching my major from undecided communications to strategic communications and I would get my masters in integrated marketing and communications.

Of course, this defeated the purpose of entering college as an undecided communications major. I couldn’t figure out what I liked, much less what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, if I hadn’t taken classes introducing me to my options.

So, after a short spiral, I considered the possibility that “purpose” was to be thought of on a smaller scale. 

Sure, my purpose for coming to college was to get a degree so I could get a job, but there’s more to it than that. I’m also here to grow as an individual.

Growth is fostered through challenges and exploration. It is through growth that I believe I will find my purpose.

So, in this season of my life, my purpose is to grow – to try new things and make mistakes to figure out the type of person I am and the type of person I want to be. 

Meghan Lex is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University from New Jersey. She is a new member at Her Campus SBU, but plans to write pieces surrounding mental health, entertainment, and campus life! She currently studies communications. Technically, she's a "Undeclared Communications" major at the moment because it gives her the opportunity to explore all of the different aspects of the field! As a freshman, she is extremely excited to try new things, and sign up for different clubs and experiences on campus. Evidently, she is a part of the women's cross country and track team, SBU@SPCA, Freshman Leadership Program, and the Student Athletes Wellness Club.