This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

This week starts the first week of a new series I’m doing: top ten lists. This week I’m doing top ten dog breeds, but with a twist. 

This week, I’m putting ten dog breeds that are associated with technical, automotive, and trucking companies. From there I’m ranking them and telling a little bit about the company. 

10: Bull Terrier 

The Bull Terrier is the dog that has the red bullseye “painted” on him. As you can guess, it’s the mascot for the retail store, Target. Target was originally formed in June 1902 by businessman George Dayton, but the first store wouldn’t open for 60 years. The first store was opened in Roseville, MN, with three other stores opening up in the state, as well. Four years later, they would open two stores in CO, as the first step in their plan to go nationwide. 

9: German Shepherd 

The German Shepherd isn’t really officially associated with any company, but it is associated with the police. In my personal opinion, the police is pretty technical. Shockingly enough, the first organized, publicly funded police department was established in Boston, MA, in 1838. In 1844, New York City would get a department, with Philadelphia, PA, coming ten years after.  

8: American Bulldog 

The American Bulldog is the mascot for the tech company Zynga. Zynga is a mobile game company, with some of their most notable being the Farmville series. Zynga was founded in 2007 and was named after the founder’s (Mark Pincus) dog, whose name was Zinga and was an American Bulldog.  

7: Dachshund 

The Dachshund is also not officially recognized with a technical/automotive company, but it is associated with a fashion company, Harmont and Blaine (I like fashion). Harmont and Blaine was founded in 1986 in Italy with an emphasis on leather gloves. Then, in 1993 they expanded to swimwear. Two years later, they grew to include everything they have today: shirts, sweaters, and pants. 

6: Brown Retriever 

The Brown Retriever is the mascot of Brown Dog Carriers and Logistics, a trucking company based out of Biddeford, ME. Brown Dog prides itself on helping the New England communities through fundraising and bringing needed materials to the people. Every year, Brown Dog participates in the national Wreaths Across America Day, and is the carrier that brings all the wreaths to every ME cemetery. Brown Dog also has an annual 5K run for epilepsy, as one of their drivers’ sons has the disease. 

5: Greyhound 

The Greyhound is, you’ve probably guessed it, the mascot for transportation company, Greyhound. Founded in 1914 in Hibbing, MN, Greyhound has grown to become the largest intercity bus service in North America. Greyhound also is the owner of Amtrak Thruway Services. 

4: Great Dane 

The Great Dane is the mascot, and name, of the Great Dane Trailer company. The Great Dane Trailer company was founded in 1900 in Savannah, GA, as a company to design steel mechanisms to remove sawdust and other wood-related products. By 1916, they were an entirely steel manufacturing company, and made all different kinds of mechanical things out of steel. One of those things were trailers. 

3: Husky 

The Husky was the mascot for Brockway Motor Company and is the mascot, and name, for Husky tools. Brockway Motor Company was founded in 1875 by William Brockway in Cortland, NY. From the years 1912-1977, Brockway built their custom heavy-duty trucks that would be adorned with a metal husky on their hoods. Husky tools was founded in Milwaukee, WI, on January 29th, 1924, by a Czechoslovakian immigrant. They originally started by making only wrenches, but they went on to make all the tools that we have today. Husky tools is owned by Stanley and is the official tool brand of Home Depot. 

2: French Bulldog 

Not associated with anything technical/automotive, but I have a French Bulldog and think that they’re extremely awesome. My dog’s name is Maxie. 

1: English Bulldog 

The English Bulldog is the mascot for none other than Mack trucks. Mack trucks was founded in 1900 in Brooklyn, NY, by two brothers, and produced their first truck in 1905. During the First World War, Mack was hired to manufacture trucks for the soldiers to use overseas. They were very well made, and the British soldiers began to notice it. They said that Mack’s trucks were like bulldogs, never stopping and always plowing through. Word got back to the Mack brothers, and the bulldog was instated as their mascot. 

Brooke Johnpier is a contributor to the SBU chapter of Her Campus. She writes about the more "manly" topics of the site, including automotive, motorsports, mechanical, technical, DIY, and anything hands-on. Brooke is also using this platform as her personal blog, of which she will talk about more personal things that she feels the world should hear about. Besides Her Campus, Brooke is a part-time motorsports journalist for Speedway Illustrated, a columnist for Race Pro Weekly, and a staff writer as well as a social media promoter for The Podium Finish, where she is interning. Brooke is also a writer for The Bona Venture (News, Features, and Sports), TAPinto Greater Olean, WSBU The Buzz (Music, and Sports), and PolitiFact NY. Brooke is also involved with St. Bonaventure's literary magazine, The Laurel. Brooke is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University where she is majoring in Sports Media with minors in Native American and Indigenous Studies & English. In her free time, Brooke loves reading, going to the local racetrack, riding four-wheelers, working on cars, and riding in tractor trailers. Brooke is a music lover, and will talk about most any genre, especially her favorites which are rock and rap. Brooke is also a percussionist, a published author, and a women's rights activist. Brooke is also a member of several lineage organizations, and currently holds a national position in one of them. As well as writing for campus media, Brooke is involved with Faith in Fiction, Jandoli Women in Communication, the History Club, College Democrats, and the Indigenous Student Confederacy. A fun fact about Brooke is that she was the only female to ever be in the top 5% of the Automotive Technology class at the trade school she attended in her junior and senior years of high school.