This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As Christmas and winter break approach, I’ve found myself with a mix of emotions. In one way, I am excited to go back to my house with my big bed and where I can take a shower without shoes and shower caddy. However, I am incredibly sad that I’ll be leaving my friends and the place I love for a month.

Since the day I arrived on campus for my first tour, I was in love with the campus and the people. I knew that I’d never want to leave. The first few days after arriving on campus for the ‘real deal’ were pretty lonely, but once I fell into my friend group, I was ready to stay.

Each time I’ve come home throughout the semester, I’ve been ecstatic to return to campus and get back into my routine. Since I am a freshman, this is my first experience with finishing classes so early in the school year. It’s been weird for me as I consider the relationships I have made so early on in my time at school.

As much as I am going to miss being on campus with my friends, there are some positives to going home.

Christmas time has always been special to me. It’s a time of cut-out cookies, watching movies and Christmas tree care. I am also a big gift-giver, so this is my season!

Since I was little, it was prioritized that I felt loved on Christmas morning. I am so grateful to have both of parents at home with me, and especially for this Christmas where we will be together celebrating a special time. Every Christmas morning throughout childhood, no matter how many gifts were underneath the tree, I always was shocked by the miracle feeling on Christmas.

Santa’s arrival makes me giddy, even now. Putting out the cookies and milk and getting on new Christmas pajamas always puts me in the Christmas spirit.

My mom and I always make sure we read a Christmas story on Christmas Eve. This tradition started because I wanted to feel extra cozy in my bed on this night when I was always wide awake with excitement. Whether it’s Yes, Virginia: There is a Santa Claus or another classic, we take the time to just be together and for me to act like a little kid.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas full of love and joy this season. I know that it’s a tough season for some, especially for those who have lost loved ones in the past year and beyond. I hope that everyone in school is able to be recharged during this time and is able to return for second semester with a new bout of motivation!

Alexis Serio is a new writer for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She plans to write pieces surrounding topics of feminism, entertainment, and campus life. Alexis is a freshman studying Communication, Social Justice, and Advocacy. Beyond Her Campus, Alexis spends her time studying with friends and getting involved in the many clubs SBU has to offer. In her free time, you can find Alexis reading, watching Modern Family, or making her friends laugh when it's "Alexis Time". She is also a lover of almost any type of music, as long as she can sing along with it.