SBU?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
SBU?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by SBU for HCM / Design by Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Three Ways to Practice Sustainability at St. Bonaventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

We all recognize the severity of climate change and the preservation of our planet, and yet, it seems impossible for individuals such as ourselves to enact notable progress. Living an eco-friendly lifestyle seems incredibly daunting to college students, who often lack sufficient funds or resources to build a sustainable lifestyle. But luckily, there are small actions we can take – even as college students – to secure a stable future for our planet. Check out the three ways you can care for the environment in my favorite place on earth, St. Bonaventure, New York.

1. Limit Plastic Use 

College students are infamous for their use of plastic. As college students often change housing options each year – either from one dorm to the next, or living off-campus – they are constantly moving, packing, and purchasing new consumer goods. Additionally, plastic cups, silverware, and bags are convenient and make for a quick (and cheap!) solution in small spaces such as dorm rooms. So, instead of non-recyclable moving supplies and plastic dorm-goods, opt for reusable containers, water bottles, and cutlery. And, when furnishing living spaces each year, try to reuse housing items and furniture for as long as possible. This will save money and the planet! 

2. Drive Less 

Driving short distances several times per day or week can add up quickly. Fortunately, St. Bonaventure is a perfect example of a walkable campus. The campus and its surrounding areas are perfect for pedestrians. Most major shops and restaurants are within walking distance, making them accessible to students and locals alike. Furthermore, the university offers a bus for students free of charge that can take them across campus and into town. By walking and utilizing public transportation, college students can produce less carbon emissions. As an even further incentive, this eco-friendly strategy also helps individuals save money on gas. 

3. Using Eco-Friendly Products 

After paying for expensive textbooks and school supplies, it’s tempting to grab the cheapest products on the shelves. While being frugal is important, it is important to think about which  products you use on a daily basis and explore options that are overall better for you, your wallet, and the planet. Start shopping for brands that align with sustainability – like Garnier.

As a leading beauty brand, Garnier recognizes its commitment to both consumers and the environment. In fact, by 2025, Garnier plans to have all of its plastic packaging come from 100% recycled materials. In addition to this pledge, Garnier formulas are made with 99% vegan ingredients* and are approved by Cruelty Free International, and will continue to develop products that require less water usage. Some of my favorite eco-friendly products Garnier has include the Sleek & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner, the Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Original + Waterproof Makeup Remover, and the Reusable Micellar Cleansing Eco Pads, which are machine washable and a perfect alternative to wasteful makeup wipes.

The St. Bonaventure chapter of Her Campus has partnered with Garnier to host a local cleanup for Earth Day on April 15th at Mount Iraneaus! We helped with gardening projects, split wood and so much more! It was such a successful day! Can’t wait to share more on socials at @hercampus_sbu.

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.