Thoughts We All Have While Driving to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

With a long drive to school comes a great amount of time to think. Here are some of the thoughts that run through the head of someone with a five-hour drive.

As I get into the car I slowly organize myself, setting up my GPS and getting my music situated how I want it. As I slowly pull away from my house I let out a groan.

I love SBU and all, but it’s hard to leave when you live so far away and don’t get to come home aside from the breaks that the school provides.

Hour one: Someone please remind me again why I didn’t choose a school that was closer to home? That “Welcome to New York” sign is making me sad.

Can I turn around yet? I already miss my mom and my dogs! The mental image of my dog right as I walked out is breaking my heart.

Hour two: Seriously EZ-Pass?  You couldn’t cooperate for me just this once? (Mine decided to stop working for me). Thankfully I’m off of the New York State Thruway.

Well, I guess I can say goodbye to all my local stations. It’s pretty much a given that once you leave the Hudson Valley, there’s a miniscule chance of getting any New York City radio stations.

Hour three: Ooh, a big city! Here come the good radio stations again! Cue the happy dance!

Should I stop at Wegmans? Or should I wait and go a few more exits? Decisions decisions… I have to start spotting the traffic on the surrounding lanes either way…

Hour four: Let’s play a game called how many trucks can I see on the way to school.

Why do so many people drive trucks here?

How much longer to school? I can only replay U2 so much before I’m ready to pull my hair out of my head.

Hour five: Almost there! Yay!

I can barely see past the end of my car; thanks a bunch, snow. I guess I should probably put on my hazards just to be safe…

Here comes my exit! Now, I hope that the local roads are at the very least a little better than the highway…

Photo credits; stock photos

I'm a sophomore journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University.