Things I Won’t Do After Watching “Criminal Minds”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I have been an avid fan of “Criminal Minds” for a hot minute now. This has acted as one of my comfort shows for years. I know, odd to be comforted by capturing serial killers, but it honestly has me hooked. This is a show I always find myself coming back to. When I can’t find anything piquing my interest to watch, this is always my next go-to option. 

I feel personally that this has taught me a lot. I tell others if I ever encountered a serial killer I would slightly understand them due to my knowledge from the show. 

On the other hand, being an avid watcher of “Criminal Minds” has also flooded me with a bit of paranoia over things others would not suspect. Here are some things that “Criminal Minds” has made me think differently about. 

Licking an envelope

• I hate licking envelopes to begin with, the taste of the glue fills me with disgust. This specific episode gave me even more of an excuse to not have to do such. In this episode, multiple people wound up in the hospital with severe poisoning. The cause was later determined to be within the glue of the envelope. Every time I think about licking an envelope, I fear being poisoned so I just don’t.  

Looking through the peephole in an Airbnb/ motel 

• The last thing I need on my vacation is to be stabbed in the eye while gazing through my peephole. The chances of this happening are slim to none but it never stops keeping me on my toes. 

Telling a therapist my biggest fear 

• Exposure therapy is very common, although this was extreme. As clients opened up their darkest fear to their therapist, he used it as a way to manipulate more fear into them. I am all here to get over new fears, but I will not be thinking slightly if I tell my therapist I’m afraid of heights. She may push me off a building. 

Opening a package I did not order 

• Receiving a package can quickly become a highlight of the day. If I have no recollection of a package coming in, I will not open it. It’s different if the package is labeled with a company. If not, I’m not risking opening a bomb. 

Going toward a van with a crying baby alone 

• This one continues to lurk with me. Not saying that people should ignore a crying baby alone in a car but do not go up to the car by yourself. You don’t know if it’s just a scam and you don’t want to risk that. 
Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.