This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

The birds are chirping. The days are longer. Students are in a better mood. Even after just two years of college, I can confidently say that the spring semester is simply superior to the fall semester. The entire spirit of the campus seems to shift with the change of semesters. Below are my top-ranked reasons why this new semester is something to look forward to.

1.) the weather, obviously

New season, new mood. Born and raised in Buffalo, New York, I’m no stranger to cold and bitter winters. As a proud Buffalonian, I learned to embrace this characteristic of my hometown. I loved the snow and hot chocolate and of course the Buffalo Bills. However, being a full-time student during these bleak months is not for the faint of heart. Studying when the sun goes down at 4 p.m. is not enjoyable. It’s harder to muster the motivation to leave your cozy dorm and get all of your assignments done. Spring semester brings longer days and happy study sessions. One of my favorite on-campus activities at St. Bonaventure is studying and doing homework outdoors in the Devereux Pavilion.

2.) looking forward to summer

During the fall semester, you look forward to coming home for winter break. The holidays are an incredible time, but if you live in the Northeast, this break is marked by snow, sleet and hail. Unless you’re sledding, it’s challenging to spend time outdoors. In the spring semester, however, students are counting down the days until the glorious four-month summer break. Although the summer brings inevitable internships and part-time jobs, it’s hard to beat the warm weather and activities that summer brings. Any summer concerts or trips I booked in the prior months are now fresh on my brain.

3.) spring weekend

A true St. Bonaventure tradition, Spring Weekend is a top-tier moment in your undergraduate days in the enchanted mountains. When else in your life do you get to play competitive kickball against all of your best friends? At SBU, every April students enjoy a weekend of fun to celebrate the closing of the school year. The school spirit is simply unmatched during Spring weekend. I must admit, this is something that you just can’t understand until you experience it yourself. I am counting down the days until Spring Weekend 2024.

4.) More activities

In my experience in undergrad so far, the campus becomes more alive as we transition from fall to spring. As a freshman, I loved seeing students gather outside to tan, read and toss a frisbee or football. It’s moments like these that remind me of the magic of your college years. Living in accessible, walkable communities with all of your closest friends is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that should not be taken for granted. Last year, I would count down the seconds until I could get out of class and play Spikeball with my friends outside our dorm.

5.) New people, new profs.

Each semester is a fresh start. New classes, new people, new professors. Maybe it’s a placebo effect, but I truly feel that everyone on campus is more cheery during this semester. Take this change in semesters to step outside your comfort zone and explore people outside of your usual social circle.

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.