This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

In general, I hate watching TV. People seem to shriek when I say that. I find it challenging to sit still and commit to shows that are dozens of seasons long. I never found a show that spoke to my soul. That was until I stumbled across a show called New Girl during quarantine. It became my lifestyle, my religion. Never in my life had I experienced a medium able to make me laugh, cry and mirror the human experience so well. For me, this Fox sitcom is more profound than Shakespeare. I will talk about this show to anyone who will listen. There are so many elements of this show that make it such an enjoyable, timeless sitcom.

Firstly, the casting of this show is immaculate. Each and every character is perfectly portrayed by an actor or actress who seems made for their role. The show follows Jessica Day, played by Zooey Deschanel, post-breakup in which she must pack her bags and unexpectedly find a new living situation. Finding an ad online, Jess decides to take a leap of faith and move in with three strangers who happen to all be single men. Despite initial apprehension, this decision proves to be rewarding for Jess.

The characters are hilarious, loveable and addicting. What I love most about the show is that none of it seems scripted. The dialogue and acting are effortless and conversational. I feel like I am right in the loft with the characters as they navigate the personal and professional chaos of their 30s in LA.

I personally resonate most with Jess. She’s outgoing yet dorky, and is the type of friend everyone wants. She is compassionate and optimistic, persistently following her dreams even when they seem out of reach. She is supported by her best friend Cece, as well as her roommates in the loft.

Each episode, you are guaranteed to laugh, and I mean belly laugh. Whether dealing with deadpan bartender Nick Miller or the over-the-top marketing executive Schmidt, the character’s sarcasm and wittiness are unlike any I’ve ever seen. I can thank this show for my sense of humor and endless inside jokes.

Along with the comical aspect, this show is incredibly heartwarming. I’ll admit that I tend to be an emotional person, but it’s impressive that a simple sitcom could make me get choked up as much as New Girl can. It is beautiful to watch the characters grow, learn, and love throughout the seven seasons. A bonus: the 20-minute episodes are short and sweet- perfect for binging.

You can stream New Girl on Hulu, Peacock and Apple TV. Do yourself a favor and start watching New Girl ASAP. It’s original, hysterical and surprisingly stirring. Happy watching!

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.