This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

The smell of a winter pine candle burns as I sit down at the beginning of my jam-packed week. I try planning the week, but the next couple of weeks are different. Thanksgiving just passed and finals and Christmas are around the corner. Before we know it, we’ll be wrapping presents hoping loved ones will like them, going on last-minute shopping trips, cramming to hand in our final assignments and celebrating the new year. Holiday time is supposed to be full of joy, yet I feel stressed when the leaves become barren, and the snow begins to fall. I think many other people can relate to this.

Most college students go home for a couple of days in late November and return for two weeks to finish off the semester. Sure, the couple-day break was therapeutic, but to what extent? I find myself having trouble balancing family, friends and time for myself. I become nervous thinking about the busy month of December. Friends also return home and family, or loved-ones await your arrival. The holiday time can also open old wounds. You’re not alone in the craziness of the winter months. I’ve come up with a couple of tricks that help me balance holiday time.

1. Don’t feel bad telling people “no.” Sometimes plans can be overwhelming, and you can’t possibly do everything.
  2. Remember what’s really important to you! This is different for everyone. What do you value more? What would make you feel better? It could be difficult to have a meaningful holiday if you don’t determine ahead of time what will give it meaning.
  3. Be mindful of your spending. This is a huge trick for me. I tend to feel obligated to overspend on the holiday that occurs once a year. Money and gift-giving are two of the major causes of stress during the holidays. I work more and want my gifts to be perfect for those I care about. Try stepping away from materialism and spend time with those you most care about instead.
  4. Create a list of things you wish to accomplish. This can be filled with both complex and simple tasks, like reading a book over the break. I know when I make a plan well in advance, it gives me something to look forward to and helps me feel a greater sense of control.
  5. Find peace in the unexpected twists and turns. The holiday season might not, and usually doesn’t , always go as planned. And that’s okay! Holidays come packed with high expectations. There’s always a redo the following year.

Along with internal and external stresses, depressive tendencies can play a role. This is an extra reason to take care of yourself and understand your boundaries. Sometimes it’s easy to assume everyone else around you is happy, during such a “jolly time,” and you’re the odd one out. This isn’t often the case. We are surrounded by the festive spirit and need to find what that individually means. Stop, step back and take a moment to regroup when the holiday season takes a toll on you. You’re not alone in the craziness.

Hi, my name is Marnique, and I'm a senior journalism major at St. Bonaventure University. I love to read and write!