This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

With March being Women’s History Month you may hear the term feminist more frequently. 

The connotation around the word feminist has shifted in countless ways throughout time, fortunately, we are coming to a point in society where individuals embrace their identity as feminists. 

This is not always the case, the term feminist can sometimes hold a negative connotation due to a lack of understanding of the true meaning. 

Now many people believe that men and women deserve equal rights, although some people do not identify as feminists due to the attitudes that come along with it. Feminists are consistently stereotyped, they can be viewed as man-hating, hairy, radical and angry. 

That is simply not the case, feminism does not look one way. Ultimately, the unified goal is to have a society where men and women are treated equally. 

These stereotypes have created a pushback in some women identifying as feminists, there is a fear of being labeled. I have personally shared familiar feelings throughout my experience of identifying as a feminist. 

I was raised surrounded by strong women, this set the stage for many of my beliefs. I recognized from an early age that women were capable of doing anything they set their minds to. It isn’t till you become a little bit older that you begin to acknowledge that not everyone believes that. 

It was the little things that began to make it all add up in my head. Boys were picked for any tasks in school that required strength. Women were being sexualized but slut shamed when sexual. The one that really got me, the women within my stepfather’s workplace were not allowed jobs out side the office. 

When I first was exposed to the word feminist it was never in a positive light. Feminists were labeled with those perpetuated stereotypes, which drove me away at first. I believed what feminists believed but I would not call myself a feminist. 

It wasn’t until high school that I was exposed to women who embraced their feminism with such joy and empowerment. It motivated me to put my selfishness behind me. Who cares if there is a chance of being labeled, this is a much-needed battle for women, and I choose to be a part of the fight. 

Feminism is not a term to fear but one to rather embrace. I will forever embrace my identity as a feminist and encourage others to do the same. One woman is powerful, when we begin to work together women become unstoppable.

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.