element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten Signs You’ve Found Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

1.  As soon as shit hits the fan, they’re the first person you go to.

When you have a best friend, there’s no questioning who to go to when things go wrong.  They understand why you’re feeling the way you are—even if nobody else really gets it.  For that reason, they’re your go-to therapist.

2.  You don’t feel guilty cancelling plans for them.

Cancelling plans for your best friend is usually a no-brainer.  They’re your #1 supporter, so, they’re the first person you choose to hang out with even if you already made plans.  Sometimes you might try and combine plans, but you’ll realize nothing compares to one-on-one time with your best friend.

3.  You’re comfortable letting them see you at your worst.

From hour-long venting sessions on the phone to spending the morning after a night out together, you don’t ever consider that your best friend might be judging you—and that’s because best friends don’t judge.  You accept each other for every unbrushed hair and unplanned outfit.

4.  They’re usually the cause of your sleep deprivation.

Even though you might regret it the next morning, those late nights with your best friend are some of the best memories you share.  Whether you’re laying on the bedroom floor listening to old-school tunes or going for midnight drives around town, everything seems to be better at night.  You’ll find yourself saying, “the night is young” more than you ever thought possible.

5.  You’re not afraid to call each other out on your crap.

Best friends are honest with each other whether it’s wanted or not.  There’s no babying in a healthy friendship, so you have no problem telling each other that you’ve messed up.  It might be hard to hear and will probably lead to a few minutes of awkward silence, but you’ll come to appreciate your best friend’s honesty.  It’s likely you keep coming back to your best friend for advice because you know you’ll get the truth.

6.  Their significant other has to like you.

If you and your best friend are in relationships, there’s a good chance you’ve told your special someone that they “have to get along with your best friend.”  You probably made it clear that your best friend will always be your #1, too.

7.  You’re comfortable letting them know they should rethink their outfit.

Best friends don’t let other best friends look anything but their best for those big occasions—so it’s expected that you will let your best friend know when the shirts are too tight and the pants aren’t quite right.

8.  They make up the majority of your camera roll.

Whether they’re pictures of your best friend at their best or worst, there’s no denying they’ve made a few guest appearances in your camera roll.  Odds are those pictures have been put to good use as embarrassing birthday posts too.

9.  You consider them family.

You spend as much time with your best friend as you do with your family—so you probably consider them to be a part of the family.  Since they’re your sister from another mister, or brother from another mother, there’s a good chance they’ve tagged along for a few family events before.  

10.  You can’t imagine your life without them.

All in all, you know you’ve found your best friend if it’s hard to imagine a day without your partner-in-crime.  Luckily, this friend is in it for the long-haul, so there’s no need to worry.

Photo credit: stock photo

Freshman journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University
I'm a sophomore journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University.