This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

This past Monday was the first day of Spring. Maybe it’s the placebo effect, but I can already feel a shift in the air. As the sunshine and breeze drift through my college campus, I notice more students laughing, studying and walking outside. Everyone seems to be in a better mood. 

A typical spring tradition is “Spring Cleaning:” thoroughly cleaning one’s living space to remove the baggage of winter and allow for the new season to flow through our lives. Even in a small space such as a college dorm room, it is important to prioritize maintaining a clean, organized space. Below are my top tips for spring cleaning in your college living space. 

change your sheets

This is your sign to change your bedsheets. Since childhood, my mom continually urged me to wash my sheets every single week as a part of our cleaning routine. Luckily, this is a habit that has stuck with me. If you have not washed your sheets in a while, put them through the washer and dryer with similar colors and materials. Fresh sheets make a world of difference in my opinion. 

get rid of the old

There is no better time than spring to get rid of the old and make room for the new. Go through old clothes and belongings and assess what no longer serves you. If there is anything that can be donated, start a donation bin for your local church or charity. This will save you space to make room for new spring clothing while simultaneously giving back to your community. 

vacuum and dust

No one wants to hear this, but it is necessary. Throughout the winter, it’s likely that your dorm or apartment accumulated dust and dry air. Make your parents proud — whip out your vacuum and duster. While it may feel tedious, these essential actions are part of a solid cleaning routine. Pro tip: dust before you vacuum so any particles that you move when dusting can be removed by your vacuum. Crack open your windows while you do this to get the air circulating. 

disinfect!

College campuses are notorious for contamination. Grab some disinfectant spray or wipes and clean off all of your major surfaces- desks, dressers, mirrors, doorknobs, light switches, etc. You’d be surprised at how many germs are on our everyday surfaces. 

find your fragrance

The perfect finishing touch for a spring cleaning is a good scent. My roommate and I bought a fragrance plug-in for our dorm room at the beginning of the semester. Everyone who steps foot in our room exclaims how much they love the scent. Since most colleges prohibit candles and open flames, it takes some creativity to make your room smell good at all times. I recommend scent plug-ins, essential oil diffusers, sachet bags and cone air fresheners. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.