This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

We are all counting down the days until we have a week off with no tests, no stress and much better food! Hopefully, you are able to go someplace warm and sunbathe your cares away (with proper SPF)! In the past year, I am thankful to have done quite a bit of traveling. Here are some travel tips and tricks so you can travel smarter this spring break!

Pack smart

Most airlines let you take a carry-on for free. I love to travel minimally. When I can, I will literally just travel with a backpack and that is it! I am aware that you simply can not just take a backpack to your two-week Europe vaycay because you need all the space for the Pinterest outfits you have been planning for months! With that said, make sure you have some space to take some stuff home with you. You will be thanking yourself later when you decide to buy your entire family, neighbor and your dog souvenirs.

I am also a BIG fan of saving space in your suitcase with packing cubes. Packing cubes allow you to separate your clothes into different sectioned cubes which saves so much room. They will come in sets that usually include toiletry bags, laundry bags, and bra and underwear bags in addition to the larger cubes for your clothes.

Plane entertainment

Not every plane has a boujee touch screen with “Spiderman No Way Home” to watch for the seventh time. I always make it a habit to download shows on Netflix the night before so that I can binge an entire season while on the plane. You all know the four new episodes of Perfect Match will be downloaded for my flight to Florida this weekend. I also always love to bring a book to read and a notebook to journal in or doodle.

The plane fit!

I don’t know about you but I think it is absolutely NECESSARY to have a comfy but cute outfit for the plane. If you are traveling from somewhere cold to somewhere warm, I suggest some layers: a comfy pair of yoga pants, a band tee (you can bond with your new meet-cute over), and a zip-up you can tie around your waist when you arrive at your destination. My sister bought me a fanny pack that I have been LOVING when I travel. Usually, I am not the fanny pack type but when I wear it around my chest it is the perfect location for me to grab my phone, wallet, passport and ID to hand to the people at security. Also, never underestimate a comfy beat-up pair of sneakers especially when you are walking all around the airport.

Make some friends

I think airports are the best place to make a friend, tell them your life story, and never see them again. Or maybe if you are lucky, they will be the meet-cute of your dreams! On the last plane trip, I was on I sat next to an older woman and a guy a little bit older than me. We bonded over babies crying and soon I gained knowledge and wisdom about education, life and careers. It never hurts to be kind to others and ask them questions about themselves!

Vlogging

Any time I go anywhere, I vlog my experiences and either set up a private story or just send the videos to my close friends. I am not a big social media person, so I think this is the perfect way to have your friends know what you’re up to and to keep some memories of your trip. My best friend and I still go back and look at our vlogs from the trips we have taken and I love every second of it!

Romanticize it!

Traveling can be grueling especially if you are going out of the country and the time difference hits you like a truck. Make the most of it! Buy a little coffee, walk around the airport, and people-watch while making up everyone’s life story (a personal favorite).

Happy spring break!

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.