This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

A recent trend has stumbled across my for you page on TikTok that has brought me happiness. Individuals are fighting the false reality of social media by opening up and sharing personal things they are ashamed to admit online.

I personally cannot stand how perfect everything presents itself on social media. Social media is a highlight reel of one’s life. It shows the peaks, but not the declines. This trend has brought light to those difficult moments that everyone has but does not share.

It’s okay to be human, we all make mistakes, we all are embarrassed by certain things and we all have areas of self-work. That is okay.

We all have things we are ashamed of, often times these pinpoints of shame bring unneeded negative self-talk. Sometimes all you need to see is that other individuals are not perfect either.

Here are some things I am “ashamed” to admit online:

I hold on to the past very deeply. I find this to play a role in past friendships. Despite the note we may have left on, whether it was negative on my part or yours, you will cross my mind at times.

My brain is stuck in an all-or-nothing cycle at times. I have a bad habit of letting an unproductive morning control how I spend the rest of my day.

I lost weight due to becoming ill. My weight loss is often a talking point. Rather than speaking up I let the words sink in. Growing up with a skinny culture, I felt I needed to lose weight, so sometimes I feel it’s best to say nothing, regardless of the difficult journey.

I often sacrifice my peace to protect other people’s feelings.

I am a terrible procrastinator. I will fill myself with random tasks and small assignments to loophole around papers and projects for as long as I can. This leads me to anxiety and stress, a bad cycle of mine.

I spend a lot of time judging myself and overanalyzing my actions and words in many social situations. I am always trying to find ways to better myself, I sometimes struggle to make pieces with some things just being the way I am.

I feel alone a lot. Despite the amazing relationships in my life, loneliness is a struggle. This feeling creeps up on me often while I am at school. Although I enjoy my alone time greatly, it presents me with guilt.

Life isn’t always so glamorous and that’s okay to admit.

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.