This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Since the first week of classes, my roommate has been obsessed with the Showtime series, Shameless. I had obviously heard about the show (some clips even showing up on my TikTok for you page) but had never had any interest in watching it.

I was suddenly thrust into the task, however, when it became clear that this was going to be my roommate’s show of choice. We have since watched up to season 7, most of the time with it on just in the background.

I have come to the opinion that I truly dislike the show.

Reason #1: 

Especially now in the later seasons, the whole show is excessively repetitive. Each season, Fiona finds a new, sketchy love interest, Frank goes on a bender, Ian has a mental breakdown, and Lip makes disastrous decisions only to be saved by someone taking pity on him. This whole cycle repeats every 12 episodes, and this bothers me because the entire cycle is so destructive. AND NO ONE SEES THE ISSUES. 

Reason #2: 

Fiona REALLY bothers me. I physically cringe every time she comes on screen. While she does good things occasionally (like taking custody of the kids), most of the time she is making horrible decisions that not only impact her life but those around her as well (like taking custody of the kids). She ruins every good relationship she has by going back to the same messed-up vices. Also, how could anyone ever forgive or forget that she let her baby brother ingest a fatal amount of cocaine.  

Reason #3: 

Frank gives me the ick. Every season, more like every episode, he goes on a bender, does something illegal, and tries to scam someone for money. He is awful to his children and does anything he can to avoid real responsibility for his actions. Frank Gallagher is literally the worst person ever. He almost had sex with his daughter for money, told a cancer patient to do cocaine, and used a new, donor liver as a new shot at alcoholism. 

Reason #4:           

Debby doesn’t grow up. When she wanted a baby at 15, Fiona told her no and she didn’t listen. She was immaturely thinking of herself and no one else. When she had the baby, she refused the help that Fiona offered her and ended up harming the baby because of over-exhaustion. When Fiona tried to get her act together, Debby was almost offended when Fiona mentioned that she should get a job to make money to help with bills. Every time, Debby just shows how she did not mature past age 14 and refuses to see that. 

Abigail Taber is a first-year writer for the St. Bonaventure chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about culture, entertainment, and the happenings in her college life. Abigail is really excited to be a part of such a cool organization that centers around the work and interests of women. She hopes to continue writing for Her Campus and become more involved in the editing and publishing side of things in the future. Beyond Her Campus, Abigail is the poetry editor for the literary magazine on campus, The Laurel, volunteers for the campus food pantry, and can be found in the library most hours of the day. Abigail has had her creative writing published in her high school's literary magazine, The Wisp, and wrote for the school's newspaper, Out of the Blue, all four years. She is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, double majoring in English as well as Literary Publishing and Editing. In her free time, Abigail, or Abbey to her friends, enjoys reading, listening to music, and looking at art for her next tattoo. She is a music trivia master and a known enjoyer of any, and all, romance books. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing books in a big city. Growing up in a small suburb of Buffalo, New York, Abbey wishes to go somewhere that no one knows her name, or her mom's.