This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

My life changed this past week when I saw Stevie Nicks perform live in Buffalo. The 75-year-old icon gave a stellar performance at KeyBank Center on Wednesday, October 4, 2023. The evening was particularly special to me because I went with my mom, a lifetime Stevie Nicks fan. 

Stephanie Lynn “Stevie” Nicks is an American singer, songwriter, and producer from Phoenix, Arizona. Nicks is a highly esteemed musician known for her work with the band Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist. Revolutionizing 70s rock, Fleetwood Mac made headlines both domestically and internationally with the help of Nick’s captivating voice. 

Fleetwood Mac was the soundtrack of my childhood. My fondest memories growing up were watching my parents cook and dance while Fleetwood Mac played through the house. I appreciated the music even more in my teen years, as the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD was permanently in the stereo of my first car. Though my parents and I did not agree on all of our music preferences, Fleetwood Mac was our common ground. 

This summer, my mom announced to me that she had got us tickets to see Stevie Nicks live in October. I was beyond excited to not only see my icon Stevie Nicks, but to experience a shared love with my mom. The show did not disappoint. Even from the 300s levels, I was stunned at Nicks’s stage presence. Her voice, even at age 75, is hyponic, bold and beautiful. She makes singing look effortless, as the notes seem to flow gracefully from her soul. 

I appreciated that between each song, Stevie would stop and talk to the audience for a few minutes. She would share personal anecdotes, laughter, and life advice. This personal touch created an intimate atmosphere. It felt to me more like “an evening with Stevie Nicks” rather than solely a concert. My favorite songs performed were “Gypsy”, “Edge of Seventeen”, “Dreams”, and “Landslide”, which was a heart-warming finale and tribute to Christine McVie, a former member of Fleetwood Mac and one of Nicks’s best friends. 

That evening formed priceless memories for me. In our seating section, not many people were dancing. But of course, my mom stood up and started the trend. My mom has always been a fun-loving and outgoing soul, and I like to believe I get my best qualities from her. As I looked at my mom dancing without a care in the world, I had a colossal rush of gratitude for the bond I share with my mother. I realize how lucky I am to have such an incredible mom with whom I can share memories, experiences, and love with. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.