This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

What is it about reality TV that makes it so great? Is it the relatability? Is it the fact that we are vicariously living through these people? Is it the drama? Honestly, it’s probably all of these things and more, but if I know one thing, it’s that I will be tuning in to ALL forms. Whether it’s shows based on finding love, winning a competition or just rich people doing rich people things, I am along for the ride. 

I really think I get my obsession with the genre from my mom. Besides reality TV, the only other things she chooses to watch are crime shows (almost any and all of them) and horror movies (both good ones and absolutely awful ones). 

Through my many, many years of reality TV watching experience, I have compiled categories to which most reality TV shows can fit under as well as listed a few of my favorites!

For the Drama

Most shows that fit into this category involve someone finding who they believe to be their “perfect match” and getting engaged way too prematurely, eventually ending in breakup and divorce in most cases. This is where my obsession with reality TV began.

I started watching “The Bachelor” in 2020. Peter Weber’s season (in my opinion one of the best of the show) had me hooked. Soon after was the beginning of Covid, and therefore, the beginning of my reality TV binging.

Other Favorites include:

• Love is Blind
  • The Ultimatum

To Watch Other People Suffer

These shows consist mostly of other people experiencing things so horrendous you can’t help but watch. Kinda like how people say you can’t look away from a car accident. 

This category is a staple in my household with some of my mom’s tops being “Naked and Afraid,” “Dr. Phil” and her absolute favorite, “Judge Judy.” 

My favorite that I believe fits in this category is “Survivor”

You Are Better Than Me, But I Would Never Want To Be You

This category describes shows full of extremely talented people who have gotten themselves into extremely horrible situations. Unfortunately, most of the shows in this category do involve children being taken advantage of, but what can I say, it was the early 2000s. 

Favorites include:

Dance Moms

Cheer

Cheer Squad

Toddlers and Tiaras

You Are Better Than Me, And I Want To Be You

Similar to the last category, these people are extremely incredible. Unlike the last category, I am very, very jealous of these people. Not only do they have more talent in their pinky than I do in my whole body, but they also get to meet super famous people who happen to be the judges of the shows. 

The first one that comes to mind in this category is “The Voice” which my mom and I have been watching since I was 10. Recently, “The Voice” has had a cast that would cause me to simply pass away if I ever met them in person. This includes vocal legends such as Ariana Grande, Kelly Clarkson and Reba, but also some of my biggest childhood crushes like Nick Jonas and Niall Horan.

Other favorites include:

RuPaul’s Drag Race

Dancing with the Stars

Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.