This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Growing up in a small New England town, I have learned to love ghost stories, toured colonial homes, and lived walking distance away from a one-room schoolhouse. My little town of Ridgefield Connecticut is a magical place. It has always had a strange charm that made me love it. If you have ever watched Gilmore Girls and want to visit a real-life Stars Hallow, come to Ridgefield Connecticut. As most coming of age high school students do, I wanted to get out of my town. It is beautiful but I needed more. 

I applied to college all over the map, from Michigan to California to New York. I always knew I wanted to settle down in a town like Ridgefield, but I wanted to explore what more the world had to offer during my college years.  Coming to school in western New York, I thought the culture of the people I met would be similar to my own. I know that New York is not New England, but I thought that I would still feel that magic when I came here. 

My first day on campus I knew that I was wrong. I spotted two Tim Hortons, which not to lie, I didn’t know existed in the US until the first day. My next clues that Olean was different were everyone’s reactions to me never having been in a truck, never using power tools, and not knowing what husking corn was. It seemed like everyone could bond on these shared experiences that I simply did not have. My new friends grew up with parents who hunt or live on Christmas tree farms. The only experience I had with Christmas tree farms was when the Hallmark Channel was turned on in the winter, (apparently there is not always a love story involving someone trying to buy the farm, strange).

My realization that the culture of St. Bonaventure was so different from my own made me nervous that I would not find deep friendships because of my lack of shared life experiences. This was not at all the case. The people that I met taught me how to use an axe and told me of the apparent financial stability of a Christmas tree farm, (not the constant pressure of someone trying to buy the farm, thanks Halmark). I developed bonds though this cultural difference that taught me so much about how other people live in this world. 

I remember looking around my first week and thinking to myself, “people live like this, and they are happy?”  There are so many ways to live life and still be happy. I am so excited that I came to a college that has a different way of living life than I do, and that I could explore the joy that life brings in other shapes and sizes than a Gilmore Girl’s town. 

While I do not see myself changing my plans and living in Olean any time soon, I have a better understanding of the culture of my own town. My little town of Ridgefield Connecticut is almost a perfect example of what a New England town is, and my experiences here have taught me what a New England town is not. I will never forget the experiences that I had here and the growth I have experienced. My appreciation for travel and exploration has gone up so much, as I have learned so much more about myself than I expected to my first semester in college. With Ridgefield as my home base, I cannot wait to do this again.

Julia is a new member of the St. Bonaventure Her Campus Chapter. She is from Western Connecticut and plans to write pieces about mental health, campus life and literature. Julia is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, who currently studies Biology and Mathematics. Julia is the Secretary-General for Model UN outside the classroom and is actively involved in The Buzz, the college radio station and The Bona Venture, the student newspaper. During the summer months Julia works as a summer camp counselor. In her free time Julia enjoys playing piano, going for runs, ice skating, and reading. Her favorite books are “I am the Messenger” by Markus Zusak and “The Darkness Outside Us” by Elliot Schrefer. Julia hopes one day to be an author publishing contemporary and fantasy books.