This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I, sadly, never got the chance to study abroad in my college career, though I am sure I would have loved it. 

I have always felt the impending pressure of wanting to see bits of the world before there are other pressures from my career. 

(I am not one to feel like I cannot have the career that I want and still have the fruits of life like travel as well, I am just trying to be realistic as someone who does not have the time or amenities to take a travel gap year or even study abroad.) 

But — this semester I made the time. 

I have a dearly close family friend who does all sorts of odd jobs as long as they include a cool place to live. I respect this so much, but I think there are some parts to it that even they feel separate you from the “normal” way of living. 

When I heard that they would be living in Madrid, Spain for a year, I knew this was my chance. 

This may sound extremely selfish to you, but it worked out perfectly because my friend, who was feeling the effects that I mentioned before, was looking for some familiar company as they were learning that they do not like city living and, in fact, constantly moving from year to year. 

So, three weeks from the date, I booked the ticket. 

I would be missing a week of my classes and work, but it all felt worth it to be able to do what I had been longing to do for so long. 

It was the right timing. I had a friend who lived and worked there, spoke the language, I could afford it and I have the easiest semester I have had yet. 

I can safely say that would be the word I would use to describe my trip, right. 

All of my travels were perfect getting there and back. I feel as though everyone makes a big deal of traveling internationally, but I got really lucky I guess?

I really did not feel the jet lag until I slept for 16 hours at one time the first night of sleep I had there. 

My week was filled with averaging 10 miles a day with walking, some of the best food I have ever had, unbelievable sights that are so much older than anything in America, a new culture to explore and everything inbetween. 

Because my friend was so familiar with the language and the area, we really were not at any tourist areas or spots, which I think made the whole thing so much more special. 

I am still thinking about my time there two weeks later. 

I will list some things to do if you ever do travel there, but I think a part of me wants to keep what the entire transitional experience was like to myself. 

Maybe I am crazy, but it was so special to be able to let loose enough to give myself this opportunity that I really want to cherish what it was like, with myself. 

Must dos: 

• In Madrid, try get some of the cookies from the nuns at Chorpus Christi! They are cloistered so you will not see them. They hand you cookies through a revolving door and you pay through the same door. I got the almond ones… they are some of the best cookies I have ever had. 
  • In Madrid, visit the Reina Sofia Museum! It is not as acclaimed as some of the other museums there but SO worth it. They had a ton of works from famous artists like Van Gogh and a lot about the history of Spain as well. It was super interesting. 
  • In Madrid, go to and old man bar! They are not actually called old man bars but this is what my friend liked to call them because of the crowd they attract. You can pay €3.50 for two small beers and they will bring you free plates of food. As an American this was ridiculous. We got a whole plate of chicken wings for free and they were good? 
  • In Madrid, or this applies to anywhere in Spain, see a Falmenco show! There was so much passion and 
  • In Valéncia, do a sunset boat tour! Valéncia is gorgeous because of its location on the Mediterranian Sea. It was a wee bit chilly because of wind but so worth it. 
  • In Valéncia, try the paella and agua de Valénica. You will not regret it. 
  • In Valéncia, GET SOME ORANGES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. It was orange season when I was visiting. I will never be the same. 

Those are just some of my recommendations. I could list so many more. 

I think the moral of me spilling some of my experience really just hopes to prevail how important it is to do things on your terms, at the right time and when you can really appreciate it all. 

It is so easy to make a big trip like this hard or seem impossible as I did for so long. Or it is easy to become jaded because you did not necessarily have the time or money to do a lot of the “convenient” travel options at the time. 

It could not have been more perfect.

It really played out well for me and I am forever grateful. 

Howdy babes, my name is Hadley Thompson and I am super happy to be here. I am from Niagara Falls, NY, and am ready to move where the Buffalo winters aren't so strong, brrrrr. I am a senior political science and journalism double major at St. Bonaventure University. I still remember my first semester writing for HC, I was the only new inductee at our annual interest meeting! It is so awesome to have witnessed this group of insightful and wonderful minds grow throughout the years. As I finish up my time here at Bonas, I hope to combine all of my hobbies and interests as I step into this next chapter of my life. Because I love things like reading, studying politics, environmental studies, chatting it up, writing, and such, I am applying to law school, eek! I will have to keep you updated. I am super excited for this semester amidst all of the changes, senior feelings, and, of course, to be a part of HC @ SBU! :)