Book cover of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Original photo by Sobham Panja

My Review of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Most of the time, I read a book for a few weeks, finish it and never think about it again. Sometimes I don’t even remember the plot. There are very few books I have read that stick with me for weeks after, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Wuthering Heights being two of the most notable. The newest addition to this list is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

“Isn’t that the very definition of power? Watching people kill themselves over something that means nothing to you?”

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, page 28

I originally read this book over the summer and recently re-read it for a class. While doing so, I realized I have not stopped thinking about this book since the first time I picked it up. 

Maybe it’s the female empowerment, maybe it’s the old Hollywood vibe, maybe it’s the romance, I don’t know for sure but there is some sort of crack in this book. 

Now, I know this opinion is not some new revelation. This book has been blowing up on social media since like 2020. You could probably scroll on “BookTok” for like five minutes and find a bunch of videos talking about this book, and for good reason. 

“Never let anyone make you feel ordinary”

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, page 207

Here is my super short summary of the book:

Up-and-coming journalist Monique Grant is chosen by A-list actress Evelyn Hugo to write her biography. Throughout the book, Evelyn recounts her grueling journey to success and her agonizing conflict with love. While uncovering Evelyn’s secrets, Monique is also able to discover some crucial understandings about her own life. 

“The world respects people who think they sould be running it”

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, page 8

I think what makes this book so incredible is the mysterious and mesmerizing Evelyn Hugo herself. Is she flawed? Absolutely, but those flaws almost make her better. She will do anything for fame and fortune but most importantly, power. She knows exactly how to manipulate not only those around her but practically the entire world into believing her narrative, which is almost always the farthest you can possibly get from the truth. 

Evelyn is confident. Evelyn is strong. Evelyn is charismatic. But Evelyn is also self-serving and conniving. 

All of this being said, Evelyn is tortured. She is dehumanized and sexualized by not only men in her life, but the media and practically everyone in the world. Evelyn will forever do no wrong in my eyes and I will defend her to the ends of the Earth.

“When you are given the opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesnt give you things, you take things”

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, page 35

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was also the first time I ever decided to annotate a book so that also might be a reason it has such a special place in my heart. If you have not done this before, it honestly changed not only the way I read books but probably my whole life. I could literally write a whole Her Campus article on book annotating.

“…I have more money than I could ever use in this lifetime, and my name is cemented in Hollywood history, and I know how hollow it is”

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, page 192

If you are looking for your newest book obsession, I highly recommend picking this book up and giving it a try. You can thank me, and all the “BookTok” influencers later.

Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.