Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

My love (and hate) of Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I first watched Gilmore Girls when I was in middle school. I remember waking up early before school to watch an episode before I had to catch the bus and would run to my room to press play on Netflix as soon as I got home. 

One of my earliest memories is watching Gilmore Girls on the couch with my mom in the house that I grew up in. 

Gilmore Girls is a show about two women, a mother, and a daughter. Lorelai and Rory, respectively, have a special bond that seems to sprout from the small age gap. With Rory only being 16 years younger than her mother, they are able to share anything and everything with each other and are each other’s best friends. 

I always envied this kind of relationship. I had a rocky relationship with my mom growing up and while I watched Gilmore Girls, I would try to think of how different my life would be right now if I was best friends with my mom. 

To this day, it’s the show that I turn on when I want something to watch. I’m not a TV person. Unlike most of my friends, I haven’t watched most of the popular shows on Netflix but I have tried, and failed, to commit to watching the most important ones.

Gilmore Girls is the only one that has stuck. 

The show is uplifting and funny in a way that doesn’t seem forced, most of the time, and there are so many relatable moments that I find myself fully emotionally involved with some of the characters. 

I, however, will admit that I hate the main character for most of the show. I find Rory Gilmore almost unbearably annoying. This is not for the whole series, but there is a shift after she leaves for Yale.

She is immature in her decisions and messes up multiple people’s lives just because she is stuck up on some guy (sometimes guyS), with whom there is no chance for a future with. 

Even when there is a chance for a future, like when Jess comes to Yale and asks Rory to run away with him, she shoots him down because she can’t make up her mind about her exes. 

Not only did she drag him on, but she also ruined people’s lives completely by cheating with Dean and breaking up his marriage. Talk about not being a girl’s girl. 

I will say that her relationship with Logan makes up for it. #teamlogan

While he is not the most perfect person she could ever date, he is the most mature out of all the people that she had dated in the past. 

He matures a lot while they are in a relationship, and I think that he helps her by telling her when she is wrong. While she might not always take that criticism, I think that Logan was right most of the time. 

Of course, the show paints her out to be this perfect young Ivy League woman and we barely ever see any consequences for her actions. 

Despite this criticism about Gilmore Girls, I can’t help but confess that it is my comfort show. 

Every time I hear “Where You Lead” by Carole King, whether it’s on in the background or during a rainy day binge, I can always count on a laugh or at least to give my mind a break from the world going on around me.

It is the characters that I love (not Rory) but also the world they live in, the color palette of the show, and the impeccable sound track.

So, if you haven’t watched it, please go on to Netflix and start the journey through the 7 seasons and the 8 years we see pass for Rory and Lorelai. 

Abigail Taber is a first-year writer for the St. Bonaventure chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about culture, entertainment, and the happenings in her college life. Abigail is really excited to be a part of such a cool organization that centers around the work and interests of women. She hopes to continue writing for Her Campus and become more involved in the editing and publishing side of things in the future. Beyond Her Campus, Abigail is the poetry editor for the literary magazine on campus, The Laurel, volunteers for the campus food pantry, and can be found in the library most hours of the day. Abigail has had her creative writing published in her high school's literary magazine, The Wisp, and wrote for the school's newspaper, Out of the Blue, all four years. She is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, double majoring in English as well as Literary Publishing and Editing. In her free time, Abigail, or Abbey to her friends, enjoys reading, listening to music, and looking at art for her next tattoo. She is a music trivia master and a known enjoyer of any, and all, romance books. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing books in a big city. Growing up in a small suburb of Buffalo, New York, Abbey wishes to go somewhere that no one knows her name, or her mom's.