This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

The newest debate between my friends and I is what makes an album good. What is the difference between a good album and a great album? We all had different opinions, but for me, a great album isn’t just one you really like. It has to be perfect. Every song has to be so good you want to listen to it every time it comes on. They also have to be in an order that tells the artist’s story from beginning to end. But, that is not all. The last and probably hardest step: the album has to have made an impact on your life in some way. The greatest albums, just like television shows, books and movies, make you think about them for weeks after. While discussing this, I realized I don’t have any albums I would consider to be completely perfect, but here are some that are pretty close. 

“don’t smile at me” by Billie Eilish

We are off to a bad start because this technically isn’t even an album, but an EP. Which is the only reason this cannot be considered S tier. Even so, this is Billie’s best work. Every one of these nine songs is perfection. And, as always, her voice sounds absolutely amazing. I can’t even tell you which songs are my favorite because they are all that good. 

“Melodrama” by Lorde

“Folklore and Evermore” by Taylor Swift

“Five Seconds Flat” by Lizzy McAlpine

This album is pretty new and quickly became one I play on repeat. Every song is great and this album has one of my favorite songs of all time, doomsday. The only thing that brings this down is the tracklist. The greatest song on the album is the first, so no other songs sound as good. When I listen to this album, I usually put it on shuffle.  

Harry Styles self-titled album

“Stanger in the Alps” by Phoebe Bridgers

“Midnight Memories” by One Direction

This one may be based solely on nostalgia, but trust me, it’s still just as good as it was when you were in middle school. I recently just listened to this album again, and I forgot how many good songs were on it. “Best Song Ever”, “Story of my Life,” “Diana” and “MIDNIGHT MEMORIES” are amazing. Honestly, how could this album not make the list?

These are just a few of the albums I would personally rank as A-tier. Maybe one day I will discover a perfect album I would confidently put in the S column but until then, take a look at all this great music if you haven’t already. 

Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.