This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Lyric parallels are one of my favorite things about music. A lyric parallel is when an artist references a lyric in another song they’ve written or a song by another artist. One of the best things about lyric parallels is the work you have to do to find it. Sometimes when I’m listening to a song, a lyric will hit me and suddenly I realize what it’s parallel to. They’re not always obvious the first time you hear it. You might not even understand them until years later. It all depends on whether you’ve heard the other song it’s referencing. However, once you do see the parallel between the lyrics, it’s a really cool find. They’re even better if you know the story behind why the artist chose to reference that lyric. Here are some of the best lyric parallels I’ve discovered.

The 1975

Robbers

“She had a face straight out a magazine.”

Change of HEart

“You used to have a face straight out of a magazine. Now you just look like anyone.”

Robbers

“Now if you never shoot, you’ll never know. And if you never eat, you’ll never grow.”

Roadkill

“If you don’t eat then you’ll never grow. I should’ve learned that quite a while ago.” “If you don’t shoot then you’ll never know. You should’ve learned that quite a while ago.”

I like America & America Likes Me

“Kids don’t want rifles. They want Supreme.”

Looking for Somebody to Love

“Supreme gentleman with a gun in his hand”

The City

“If you wanna find love then you know where the city is”

CHange of Heart

“I never found love in the city. I just sat in self-pity and cried in the car.”

Paris

“She said I’ve been romanticizing heroin.”

Love it if we made it

“Shooting heroin, saying controversial things just for the hell of it”

Niall Horan

Too much to Ask

“My shadows dancing without you for the first time.”

Put a little love on me

“When the lights come up and there’s no shadows dancing, I look around as my heart is collapsing”

One Direction and Harry Styles

Spaces by One direction

“Will we ever learn?”

Sign of the Times by harry styles

“We never learn, we’ve been here before.”

Harry styles

From the dining table

“Woke up alone in this hotel room”

Golden

“I don’t wanna be alone”

As it was

“Harry, you’re no good alone”

Ricky Montgomery

Line without a hook

“Do you like it when I’m away?”

Out like a light

“We never fight when I’m away.”

I don’t love you anymore

“Maybe I’ll go back to school (gonna finally graduate).”

Get used to it

“Used to go to university. Used to be the head of varsity.”

Taylor Swift

Dear john

“Don’t you think nineteen’s too young to played by your dark, twisted games”

Would’ve, could’ve, Should’ve

“At nineteen, and the god’s honest truth is that the pain was heaven.”

Haunted

“You and I walk a fragile line. I have known it all this time, but I never thought I’d live to see it break.”

Exile

“All this time, we always walked a very thin line.”

5 seconds of summer

She Looks so Perfect

“Your lipstick stain is a work of art.”

Ghost of You

“There’s your coffee cup, the lipstick stain fades with time.”

vapor

“Look in your eyes and know just what you meant, so lie to me, just lie to me”

lie to me

“And I know that you don’t but if I ask you if you love me, I hope you lie, lie, lie, lie, lie to me”

Want you back

“You tell me I won’t ever change, so I just say nothing”

High

“Today I called to tell you that I’m changing, but I don’t think you have enough respect to see me try”

Delainey Muscato is a junior journalism major with philosophy and sociology minors. This year she is excited to be the brand deal manager, assistant events planner, and senior editor for the SBU chapter of Her Campus. In her weekly article for Her Campus, she usually writes about her personal experiences at college, as an intern, or just in life. Delainey is excited for her second year as a member of Her Campus and can’t wait to help new members be just as engaged in the club as her. Outside of Her Campus, Delainey is a very active journalist. She writes for a newspaper in Ellicottville, The Villager. These articles typically detail local events or highlight people in the area. She also just began writing for Tap into Greater Olean. This news site covers stories directly rooted in the Olean and Allegany area. This summer, Delainey spent five weeks studying abroad is Sorrento, Italy. In her free time, Delainey loves to spend time with her friends and family. She spends a lot of time reading on her porch at home. Delainey also loves to take her dog Nella on walks. Her favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends. Her favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves music and spends a lot of time discovering new music and perfecting her playlists. www.linkedin.com/in/delainey-muscato-b10134282