This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Coming into college was a brutal awakening for me. As someone who got good grades in high school without having to study, this was a whole new experience. 

In college courses, you have to take the time outside of class to study the material. This is not something that can all be crammed in one night before the test, it can be done but it won’t be too successful. Some of us have learned the hard way… 

Learning how to study in college was a trial-and-error process for me to find what worked best personally. We can always improve our study habits simply by making little changes. Taking the time to try new study methods spices up the process a little bit by exploring something new. 

• Study ratios

Giving yourself a break is important, but it can become extended over a long time. Study ratios take the amount of time spent looking over material and tell you how long you should take a break to maximize your time. For instance, 20 minutes spent studying equals a 5-minute break, and 1 hour spent studying equals a 20-minute break. 

• Take care of yourself 

It’s important to remember that the little things add up. Taking care of yourself physically and mentally allows you to do better. Having a good night’s rest is important, allowing you to process all you have learned. 

• Valuing break time 

Taking in material whether it be reading over notes, listening to a podcast, or watching an instructional video takes a lot of brain power. Often when taking a break from studying the first resort is social media and television, which also require our attention. Use this time to allow your brain to relax by listening to music, doing light exercise, or doing something that doesn’t require direct attention. 

• Turn off your phone 

Nothing is harder than staying on task while studying. It’s not necessarily something someone wants to do but we have to. Our phones become the number one distraction from studying. If we see our phone light up or buzz we are more prone to check it. By silencing your cell phone this is no longer a temptation, plus it’s good to get that break from social media. 

• Memorization 

Memorizing terms, functions, formulas, etc. can be difficult. This is what I find to be the most stressful part, especially with the brain! One trick a professor has shared that I found extremely helpful is this technique; read it, say it, write it … repeat until it sticks.

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.