This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

All throughout middle and high school one of my favorite things to do after my classes was to go to the library. Even in my small school, there was always a variety of books I could choose from. I knew I could skim the shelves and not have to search long to come across a book I was interested in. Looking back, the books I read greatly impacted who I am today. Within a book, I was exposed to all different types of people, cultures, and environments. They allowed me to learn about things that otherwise would have been difficult in my small Pennsylvania town. This is something that I recently realized many students may not have the opportunity to do. 

Within all 50 states in the U.S., Pennsylvania has the third highest number of books banned in its schools. Books have been banned across nine districts,456 books to be exact. While most of these districts only have a few books banned, Central York School District holds the majority of these bans. Recently, they have been going viral on different social media platforms for allegedly banning the book series “Girls Who Code”. The series is partly owned by the organization of the same name. They help to add coding and programming clubs to schools for girls.

Books are banned by different school districts because they are seen as harmful or inappropriate for children. Unfortunately, most of these books are banned simply because they include LGBTQ+ themes or include characters who are people of color. This takes away opportunities from students who identify with or want to learn about these groups.

This topic greatly affects those who not only love to read but also those who love to write. When someone writes in any form, the main reason is to tell a story of something they are passionate about. By banning books, it shows authors that their stories don’t deserve to be told. 

The banning of books can also have a negative impact on students. It shows them that these topics are wrong, and they shouldn’t want to learn about them. This can make them feel alone in a difficult time when they are at their most vulnerable. Books can be a great outlet for some people, especially when finding out who they are. This can be very difficult when not given the opportunity to learn about those outside your social bubble. 

The true reason for this recent surgency in banned books seems to be hidden behind a mask of wanting to protect children. Even though we are in 2022, a time when everyone should be loved and accepted for who they are, some people feel children should not be exposed to these “progressive” ideas. In reality, we should give children as many opportunities to experience people different from themselves as possible, teaching them that every type of person deserves to be treated as equal. 

Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.