It’s Not Just October – It’s Every Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As many of you probably already know the month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Most people really only think of breast cancer during the month of October, but for others that is just not the case. This is something that is very near and dear to my heart. The closest person to me in my life was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was younger.

At the time I was not old enough to really understand what was happening and what could happen in the future. When I was in seventh grade she passed away from breast cancer and since then my life has been changed. I just remember dropping her off at a doctor’s appointment with my mom. For some weird reason I can remember that the roof of the building was a greenish blue color. I guess whenever I pass this building I associate it with where my Nana used to go to get chemotherapy.

Yes, it is true that I will never really understand what my Nana was going through while she had breast cancer, but I can say that it is something that has changed my life forever. Just watching her experience everything and seeing the side effects of the chemotherapy is something that I won’t forget but something I also do not wish to relive. The main point that I am trying to get at is that the cancer did not define her.

When I think of my Nana, my thoughts do not immediately go to her battle – they first go to the all the little moments and the happy places that take up the most room in my heart. I remember sitting in her room living room with her and eating Neapolitan ice cream and watching T.V. I remember moving the furniture in her living room, turning on music and practicing the dances I recently learned at dance class or making up my own dances. My favorite moment was sitting in the kitchen and watching her make apple crisp, which is her version of an apple pie. It’s these times that I miss the most and reflect on from time to time.

The times that I miss her most are when something exciting or happy happens in my life and I wish I could just give her a call or drive to her house. Of course I know that everything happens for a reason, but sometimes it takes a while just to figure out what that reason is. I now challenge everyone out there reading this blog to wear something pink at least once this month in honor of those who have had or are currently battling breast cancer. 

Jersey Girl. Coffee Lover. Fashionista Photographer. Loves traveling to Paris and plans to live there one day.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.