Life > Experiences

It Gets Better… Life as a Commuter Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

A year and a half ago if you were to tell me that I’m now enjoying college while being a commuter student I would’ve genuinely laughed in your face.

My sophomore year of college has, thus far, been my worst year of college. I felt so lonely. I had made acquaintances, and I was meeting people, but none that I would call my friends. I was only on campus when I absolutely had to be, and I never hung out with people besides when working on group projects. This led me to absolutely dread having to go to campus every day. 

I felt like a failure. My fall semester I was a biology and environmental studies major, but I had struggled severely with the biology aspect and it was because it wasn’t something I wanted to do. I wanted to do environmental studies but not in the ecology and forestry way. I wanted to be an advocate for sustainability and preservation. So, I switched my major to communication, social justice and advocacy with a minor in environmental studies and it was the best decision of my life, both socially and academically.

A year later in the communications field, I couldn’t be more grateful for the community that I’m surrounded by. Everyday I’m surrounded by so many wonderful and welcoming professors and students. I’ve had opportunities that I would have never gotten if I stayed a biology major.

Changing my major didn’t change everything at first. As a commuter student it’s so easy to feel lonely and out of the loop with things because you’re not on campus 24/7. This means you can’t make friends as easily because you’re not constantly submerged in the college environment, you’re not eating in the dining hall with friends, meeting people who live in your dorm building or near campus for weekend activities. 

The way I truly was able to become so happy as a commuter was by joining clubs and saying yes. Along with Her Campus I do three other clubs along with two internships. Through this, I’ve met so many people that I consider some of my close friends and it gives me something to look forward to when I’m on campus.

The key factor was that I made my schedule so that I’m on campus every day of the week and once I’m on campus for the day I don’t leave until my last either class or meeting. Not only does this help me separate school life and home life, but it also allows me to spontaneously see my friends and professors more often which helps build the relationships I have with them.

While everything is not perfect and I still some struggle with finding balance, I can confidently say my life as a commuter is 100% better this year than last and it’s crazy to think that every day I wake up excited to go to campus. 

Rebecca Schneider is new member of the Her Campus chapter at St. Bonaventure University. Rebecca is looking forward to improving her writing skills and getting to know the other girls apart of the chapter. She is excited to write about film, beauty products, pop culture and so much more. Since transferring to St. Bonaventure Rebecca has become a member of Campus Conservationist, Jandoli Women in Communication and Her Campus. She has had the opportunity to have an on-campus internship in the department of university advancement and write for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news source for the St. Bonaventure area. In the summer of 2024 Rebecca will travel to Sorrento, Italy to study abroad for five weeks. She is looking forward to immersing herself into the Italian culture and relaxing by the Mediterranean Sea. During her free time, Rebecca enjoys reading, going to the gym and if the weather is nice playing pickleball with her friends. Rebecca also loves music and will always engage in a conversation about Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams or Noah Kahan.