This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I am in the process of making a big decision for myself. I am choosing between two graduate schools (both in very different locations with different paces).

As I began finishing up my undergraduate degree, I wasn’t really thinking about my plans after graduation. In the past couple of months, I started to realize how close graduation really is approaching. I was at first unsure what my next step entailed (which is nerve-racking, but ok). But, I knew I wanted to pursue my education somehow. Some of my professors asked me about my plans and recommended graduate school. At the beginning of this school year, I began pondering the idea more and more. A few weeks ago I submitted two applications, and recently just found out about my acceptance. I am fortunate to have gotten to this point.

I’m both excited and a bit apprehensive, but I think those can be the perfect mix.

The decision is costly and time-consuming. At this age, I’m not exactly sure what my career will entail, so I am broadening my degree. I have strict goals for myself and know this next step will help me achieve them. If you already know what your career will entail, then ask yourself if it requires an advanced degree.

I am also already mentally preparing myself for the workload. I know I will be able to handle it, but also know I need to have a new mindset. I’m intrigued to be held to a higher standard. Consider whether you’re up to the challenge before making the investment. I think you need a solid reason to commit to attending.

Once you mind programs that you can see yourself a part of, and I mean really a part of, then you need to narrow down the offers. Last week I began making a pros and cons lift. Most of the time, I listen to my gut feeling, but for some reason, I can’t seem to find that feeling in making this decision. I know I must approach my decision objectively, but also listen to myself (if that makes sense). You know yourself the best. Your family, friends and parents will probably tell you their opinions, which is great, but don’t mold them into your own. Definitely take them into account, but at the end of the day, your decision will solely affect you.

I believe you have to envision yourself in a setting. I envision myself at both universities, so it’s making it harder. Though, I’m yet to visit both, and I think that will be a game changer in my final decision.

Start thinking about your next step after graduation. There are numerous factors to consider. Remember to be confident in yourself and in your future.

Hi, my name is Marnique, and I'm a senior journalism major at St. Bonaventure University. I love to read and write!