legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

In The Wake of Valentine’s Day…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Thank God Valentine’s Day is over. Sure, you can make the argument that Valentine’s Day is just a meaningless Hallmark holiday, but that doesn’t make it sting any less! 

Whether you’re experiencing your first Valentine’s Day as a single person, in a confusing situationship or just chronically single, the emotional wounds are still fresh. 

The first few V-Day Instagram stories you see are cute.

“They’re dating? They look so good together!” 

“Love is so good!”

“She looks so happy.”

However, at a certain point, it feels like a personal attack, like the candid couple photos were taken to victimize you as a single person. 

The infinite Instagram stories become even more unpleasant when you discover that campus crushes 1-5 have girlfriends. Ugh! Of course, they do! 

Oh! And that guy that hit on you last weekend? Yeah, he has a girlfriend too. Yikes!

In a dating culture of mixed-signals and grueling situationships, it seems implausible for people to be in real relationships. It’s usually easy to tell yourself that this fear of commitment and frustrating casualness is normal. However, now, you are confronted with mounds of evidence that people have overcome these obstacles.

Your beliefs come crashing down. There are people who will commit. Not all boys are disgusting players. Being in a relationship is possible, which should be good news, but it certainly does not feel like it at the moment.

Of course, you don’t know all of these people. Odds are that they were in a painful situationship for months before they actually started “dating.”

Either way, it’s enough to send a girl into a spiral.

But guess what? It’s probably not you.

Yes, you are allowed to be upset. It can seem like everyone is in a relationship but you, which is upsetting! However, that does not make this belief true or you any less worthy of love and respect.

So, if you’re feeling dejected and unwanted, just know that you’re not alone. Ask any of your single friends and they’ll tell you—they are also struggling a bit!

While a committed relationship can be fulfilling and fun, you don’t need a partner to thrive! You do not have to wait for a significant other to start enjoying your life. 

Love is more than romance and relationships. Love is your family. Love is your beautiful and caring friends. Love is taking care of yourself. 

While you recover from the emotional damage brought by a lovely, yet aggressive holiday, remember that you are loved and you are deserving of love.

Meghan Lex is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University from New Jersey. She is a new member at Her Campus SBU, but plans to write pieces surrounding mental health, entertainment, and campus life! She currently studies communications. Technically, she's a "Undeclared Communications" major at the moment because it gives her the opportunity to explore all of the different aspects of the field! As a freshman, she is extremely excited to try new things, and sign up for different clubs and experiences on campus. Evidently, she is a part of the women's cross country and track team, SBU@SPCA, Freshman Leadership Program, and the Student Athletes Wellness Club.