I’m Radio Rebel!: Why You Should Join Your College Radio Station

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

When I first entered college I knew two things: I needed to figure out what major I felt fit me the best, and that I wanted to join the campus radio station.

One thing about me is that, if I can be listening to music, I will be listening to music. Over the years I’ve developed a bit of a superiority complex surrounding the music I listen to. Do I have the best taste? Probably not. But, do I think I have the best taste? Oh, absolutely. So, naturally I want to subject every person in my nearest vicinity to listen to what I like. Thus, my desire to get myself a radio show was born.

Every week I look forward to my morning show at 11 on Tuesdays and always feel a sort of calm when I enter the studio because, for one hour, the only thing that matters is me and my music.

So, if you are an avid music listener, which I find hard to believe that there are people that aren’t, here are some reasons to convince you to join your college radio station.

You Get a Weekly Rant Sesh:

There is nothing I enjoy more than talking about my interests, and being able to blab about them through the radio to a supposed audience without interruption is pure bliss. I often find myself reminiscing about memories that certain songs remind me about, or going on long tangents about musicians that I am OBSESSED with. Even though I may be talking to myself in that recording booth most of the time, it feels good to voice my ideas and opinions out loud.

Exposure to So Much More New Music

Not only have I learned more about the artists that I already love, I learned of more bands, like Widowspeak and Babeheaven, that I now listen to all the time through what other hosts played on their shows. I even find myself listening to genres I hadn’t given much thought to previously. Every time I leave the studio I’ve downloaded at least three new songs or made a new playlist by the end of the week.

You Can Vibe Out With Your Friends

At first, I was always alone in the studio, and don’t get me wrong, it was great, but having my friends in there was even better. You plan a list of songs together, bond over similar favorite songs and just jam out together. The vibes are always immaculate.

A Great Way to Ease in to “Public” Speaking

You might be thinking, “how could this be public speaking if most of the time you’re just talking to yourself?” Well, you’re not talking to yourself. You’re talking to a bunch of strangers, who just so happen to not be able to see, who are tuning in to hear what you have to say. Speaking from experience, you are acutely aware when you’re just starting out that there just so happens to be someone listening in on the other end of the mic. But you have time to get comfortable without the preying eyes of your observers, you practice the right tone to use and learn how to create cohesive conversations to an audience on the fly. In short, you’re learning how to craft some communication skills by just talking through a microphone for an hour or two.

It’s Like You’re a Micro-Celebrity

There have been a handful of times where someone has mentioned that they enjoyed listening to my show, and it is SUCH an ego boost. Even if one of your friends or family member said they tuned in, you just feel special. There is a sort of accomplished feeling of being able to say that I’m a radio show host. It’s like I’m Ryan Seacrest and I’m just waiting to be the next host of American Idol.

So, if you’ve been looking around for something new to get involved in on campus, give your college radio station a try. I promise you won’t regret it!

Jessica Wikander is a new member of the Her Campus chapter at St. Bonaventure University this year, and is excited to write on topics such as movies, books, music, and so much more. She is also looking to get more involved in the world of writing and journalism as well as marketing while at school. Jessica is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University and is an undeclared communications major. Along with Her Campus, she has joined other on campus media outlets such as The Buzz, the campus radio station, and SBU-TV, the campus TV station. She also hopes to be a part of the Campus Conservationists Club, and the Jandoli School Women in Communications group. Back home, Jessica worked at her local public library for two and half years where she grew to love being surrounded by people who shared the same love of books and writing as her. On her own time, Jessica enjoys reading. She is a lover of classic literature, fantasy, and literary fiction. She also loves to crochet and is trying to learn how to knit. A comfort show of hers is New Girl, and is an avid period drama watcher and enthusiast. She is open to any discussions on her favorite pieces of media and is always looking for new recommendations of things to watch or read.