This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Being a freshman in college is terrifying; you never know if you and your roommate will get along.

I lucked out by having an incredible roommate. Fun fact: My roommate and I met at her Junior prom because she and my ex went to the same school. We only talked for a few minutes, so it seemed like a person I would never see again. However, the next March, we both ended up committing to the same college. Because of this, we decided to hang out with each other to see if we got along since we only lived 15 minutes apart. The first talk we had with each other we had a noticeable connection. We got along so well, and even ended up hanging out a couple more times after that. She asked me to be her roommate after a couple more weeks . After this, we decided to plan out our room together so everything would be perfect and feel homey for both of us.

August 25th came which was move-in day. The beginning of where we see if we got along or not. Most people, I feel, realize that they and their roommates are not close, but we were. We did everything together the first couple of days, like normal roommates do. That normally starts to die out after a little bit, but for her and I it did not. One month later, we still have not had one fight at all. Both of us have each other to get through all of the tough times that come with the beginning of college. Anytime I am crying, she does not freak out. She lets me cry in peace, because she knows that it is good for me. Anytime she needs anything, I am there. The first month at college is hard, so having people to support you is crucial. I lucked out because I live with one of mine.

One of the most important ways to get along is to understand each other’s situation. Both me and my roommate keep our rooms very tidy, but we all have our off days. Just the other day I woke up and my side of the room was pretty dirty, but she understood that I was very busy and would make time to clean up at a later time. About a couple hours later I was able to come back and clean my side of the room. An important part is having an understanding with your roommate about everything happening in life. If I am having a bad day, she will do anything she can to help me out. The other day, she asked me if I wanted a sweet treat from the store since I was in the library all day. It is the little things in our friendship that keep us from not having disagreements.

The first month of college has been insane. I have never been busier in my entire life. If I did not have my roommate to support me, I doubt it would have been as easy. Having someone that can understand you emotionally is very important. I am so happy to have a roommate who wants the best for me and vice versa. Truly, I have never been more okay because of the support system I have. I have been able to thrive and live my best life away from home.

Hello I am Gabrielle Martin, Gabby for short. I am a freshman writer at St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. I plan on writing about different topics like breakups, dating, personal care, and relationships (the good ones and the challenging ones). Outside of Her Campus I am an Adolescent Education major with a history concentration. I am also a part of four other clubs on campus most that deal with the education part of my major where I take care of kids after school from the community. This is my first year on Her Campus and I cannot wait to embark on this journey of writing influential articles. I am from Caledonia, New York which is about 30 minutes outside of Rochester. In my free time I love to spend time with my friends going out to eat or going on walks. I love reality tv shows and I also love cheesy romantic comedies. My favorite food is bagels and I drink a coffee every single morning when I wake up. My main goal in life is to have an imprint on someones life or have an influence on the choices they make in life. I try to make the mistakes so others do not have to repeat my poor choices.