Selena QuintanillaPerez Hero concept?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Selena QuintanillaPerez Hero concept?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Neula Ha / Her Campus Media Design Team

Selena Quintanilla: Queen of Tejano Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I did not hear about Selena until my first year of high school. At first, I did not understand why she was so popular but once I learned more about her, my mindset completely changed. From her music to who she was, Selena Quintanilla became such a big part of Hispanic culture.  

In case you do not know who Selena is, she was an American Tejano singer. Over the years, she had become loved by many because of her kindness, her personality, and how she was so active in helping people in her community. She had such an amazing life not only because she was traveling the world and doing what she loved but also she was surrounded by the people she cared about most in this world. Sadly, her life ended on March 31,1995, after Yolanda Saldivar, the president of her fan club, shot her.  

The major way that my Spanish teachers educated me and my peers about the life of Selena was watching the 1997 film that featured Jenifer Lopez as Selena. Once I finished it, I felt so many emotions. I was happy to be able to experience what her life was like, but I also felt sad because such a beautiful soul was taken away from so many people. What hurt me the most about her death was that she was taken away from her husband, Chris Perez, who was also her first love. Even thinking about it makes me so emotional! 

Although she is no longer with us, Selena left behind a significant impact that is still recognized today in the Hispanic community. Even after her death, so many people still listen to her music, including me. Some of my favorite songs that I enjoy listening to by her are “I Could Fall in Love” and “Dreaming of You.” For me, I just adore songs about love, and every time I listen to these songs she made, her voice is so calm and soothing to the point I feel like I am in a dream myself.  

Selena Quintanilla became the Queen of Tejano Music for a reason. She had left behind such an important legacy which was that whatever you want to do, you can achieve it. No matter what generation you are, we can all agree that Selena may be gone but she will never be forgotten. 

Olivia Francis is a first-year member of the Her Campus at SBU chapter. She oversees the site’s culture, entertainment, and wellness verticals on the site, including mental health, relationships, TV shows, and movie coverage. Olivia is currently a first-year student majoring in Communications, Social Justice & Advocacy at St. Bonaventure University. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia has been published in many anthropologies over the years through an organization called Young Writers. In her free time, Olivia enjoys writing poetry and short stories, along with taking walks while listening to her favorite music genres on Spotify such as Pop or R&B. One of her goals is to travel the world someday and explore new foods and customs. An interesting fact about Olivia is she is not only the first college gen student but, she is the first female in her family to go for a higher education.