This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Halloween is quite literally a holiday dedicated to candy. I mean, children dress up in costumes to trick or treat. They walk door to door, asking for candy. The shelves are stocked with huge bags of candy, until it’s a day or two before Halloween, and the shelves are empty since everyone is frantically buying their candy last minute for their trick-or-treaters.

Since this day is dedicated to candy and treats, I’m going to rank them. Sorry if you completely disagree, but this is my take.

Personally, I like chocolate candy the best. Chocolate is just as superior to other candy. I am a dark chocolate girly, so I am a huge fan of Milky Way Midnights. I am also a huge sucker for coconut, so I love Mounds and Almond Joy, seemingly a hot take. Oddly enough, I am not a huge fan of chocolate with peanuts, such as Snickers or Baby Ruth. However, I don’t mind peanut butter in my chocolate, so I am a fan of Reese’s and Butterfingers. Super sticky chocolates such as Milk Duds are not great because they always end up stuck in my teeth.

My Top Five Chocolate Candies Ranked:

1. Milky Way Midnight
  2. Mounds
  3. Almond Joy
  4. Kit Kats
  5. Reese’s

Fruity candies are okay. I am not a huge fan of super chewy or taffy candies like Starbursts or Airheads. They get stuck in my teeth or they are just a pain to chew. I used to enjoy Dots as a kid, but I’m not a fan now. They are way too chewy and always get stuck in my teeth.

My Top Five Fruity Candies Ranked:

1. Sour Patch Kids
  2. Swedish Fish
  3. Jolly Ranchers
  4. Twizzlers
  5. Skittles

Traditional Halloween-themed candy. Candy corn and candy pumpkins are good. I know many people dislike them, but to me, candy corn is the epitome of Halloween candy. I do not like Peeps, at any time of the year. Marshmallows are a hard no for me. Once they are rolled in a sugary coating, that’s even worse, I really hate the texture. But Peeps do get some credit for being super cute.

Seasonal Halloween Candy Ranked:

1. Candy corn
  2. Carmel or Candy apples
  3. Carmel apple lollypop
  4. Candy pumpkins
  5. Pumpkin Pie Kit Kats

There are a lot of great Halloween candies and treats. Some are so yummy, others I’d take a hard pass on. This is just my take, some of you might have super differing opinions, but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!