This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I was entering my senior year of high school when I stumbled across Margot Lee on YouTube. Ever since then she has been my comfort YouTuber. She has inspired me so much by just watching her vlogs or reading her blogs. I think that is why I liked her so much in the first place, because every time I watched her videos, I pictured myself doing what she was doing. 

So in honor of Women’s History Month, I want to share how much of an influence Margot Lee has been on me. 

Margot started doing YouTube around the time that I was getting into YouTubers such as Bethany Mota. Margot for me was the ideal Tumblr girl. I was intrigued by the way Margot edited her videos, it felt like I was there experiencing everything she documented. 

Margot had a huge influence on me when I had to decide on which college I wanted to attend and the major I wanted to pursue. Around the time I was applying for college, Margot had just started her first semester at Syracuse University, one of St. Bonaventure University’s biggest rival school, and she vlogged her everyday life routine while attending the university. 

At that time, I was a senior in high school and I had no clue what I wanted to do after I graduated high school. I knew that I wanted to go to college, but I did not know if I wanted to go away to college or stay close to home. I was also really nervous about college and what it would be like. The thought of being a freshman and starting college made me so anxious. I was not sure I would be able to handle it. 

Looking back at it five years later, I realize that I had nothing to be anxious about. I had pretty much prepared myself going into my first year of college by watching Margot’s vlogs. I saw her everyday class routine and I took inspiration from it. During my freshman year, I created my own routine and although I did not vlog my day like Margot, having a routine worked. 

I enjoyed going to my dorm after a long day of classes and watching her videos anytime she uploaded.  Throughout my time at college, I found people who also enjoyed watching her videos and became friends with them.

Margot was like my friend. Someone who I had never met but by watching her YouTube videos made it feel like I had known Margot all my life. 

When the Covid-19 pandemic struck New York state and all college students were sent home for the rest of the semester, that is when I felt like Margot and I got closer. Margot was in her senior year of college and I was in my junior year of college. She started to vlog about being home during the pandemic and still having to be a student and an influencer. If I am being completely honest, her videos helped me a lot throughout the pandemic. 

It gave me comfort. 

Now that I’m in my final semester of my graduate program, I still look forward to coming home and watching Margot’s videos whenever she uploads. She now uploads videos of her life in New York City and takes her viewers along with her whenever she does brand deals or goes to Europe to visit her boyfriend. 

Margot is still my comfort YouTuber and I look up to her and everything she has done in her career to get her to the top. She continues to wow me with her video content and her writing.