This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

My whole life I have had very long dark hair that my parents were very serious about not letting me dye it.  There were times I had thought about going blonde but would back off from the idea and a few times even went in for the consultation and three different salons said they wouldn’t do that to my hair all at once.

Session 1: This summer I finally on a whim asked my mom when she was going in that day to ask the hairdresser if she could let me know the availability for the week.  She said I could come in in two hours for highlights.  Spoiler I left the salon crying because I was so unsure since it was so different.

Session 1.5: After a week I let the high lights relax, but then went back in and she said if I kept layering on highlights it would let me maintain my length and I would be able to get to blonde after a few sessions.  She added more highlights on top of the original set and I was happier to be closer to blonde than brown.

Session 2: After a month my roots started growing in pretty noticeably, so I went in and did the same heavy foil highlights on top. By doing this I also was able to go even lighter on these so now my original hair color is the lowlight. 

Session 3: This is now the end of summer in August, so I went a little less than a month for a fresher upper before school started.  At this point I am about 80% blonde and realized people started referring to me as the blonde girl rather than brunette.

Session 4: This was my first session while outside of Rhode Island.  By this session I realized that by doing layered highlights people don’t realize when it is grown out because it looks mostly natural from the summer rather than a dramatic change and worrying about having to get my hair done every 3 weeks.

Finishing thoughts and tips:

• This definitely was better than fully bleaching at once because my hair is not dead, and I have lost no length. 
  • Purple shampoo is a god sent
  • Definitely never be scared to go back to the hairdresser if something doesn’t look right because everyone’s hair is different
RI girl stuck inland
As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.