This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

The two weeks before winter break, are arguably the most difficult two weeks of the semester. There are papers, projects, and finals. The weather (at least in Western New York) is frigid and it gets dark at an unreasonable hour. All of these things make me want to curl up in bed and not leave.

Every semester when it hits this time I become fixated on some things that get me through. Here is the list of things that are keeping me sane:

1. Bananagrams

If you know me, you know I love word games. I have 312 wins on iMessage word games. I grew up battling my grandma in Scrabble, Up Words, and Words with Friends (I have yet to beat her).

I had not played Bananagrams since I was in 5th grade until I asked my grandma for my birthday. Now, I go nowhere without it.

There’s an awkward conversation occurring? Pull out Bananagrams. You are bored? Bananagrams. There is heated political discourse at the Christmas dinner table? Trusty Bananagrams does it again.

I am an RA and it comes to the point where I walk around and my residents are like “Are we going to play tonight?”. One kid bought it for himself and practices to beat me.

2. Booking flights

When life gets a little rocky, I call up my sister Natalie and we plot an adventure for me to visit her in Florida.

Everyone talks about long-distance romantic relationships, but having my sister long-distance SUCKS. I am beyond blessed to have such an amazing connection with her and somewhere to visit right when I get done with finals week.

I am very cheap so I will risk it and take the janky airlines. But, listen to this, I only paid $100 for a ROUND TRIP ticket to Florida. Are you kidding me??

3. Christmas Movies

During these times, I always get fixed on some kind of movies. Right now, it’s anything Christmas. Coming to college, the Christmas season has not felt as magical. Maybe it is because I am super busy, not with my family, or because we’re getting older.

Watching all the cheesy movies helps it feel more like Christmas. The other day I watched “Love Actually”, a Christmas rom-com that is one of my mom’s favorites. Tonight my friends and I are going to watch “A Christmas Story” and exchange gifts.

4. Journaling

I have never been the journaling type girly. The last time I consistently journaled was when I had the pink journal from Dork Diaries with the fancy little pen she had in the book. There were little bells at the end of the pen that jingled as I spilled my guts about how this girl Nabetse in my class started dating Santiago, the boy that I liked.

I have been going through a rough patch in my personal life and writing about it has become a substantial outlet. In my journal, I have poems, drawings, prayers and lots of angry scribbles.

5. Hanging with the girls

Goodness, I do not know where I would be without my friends this week. As I have been going through some stuff, being able to call them up and say can we take a drive, go get smoothies, play Bananagrams, etc. has been an absolute lifesaver.

Even just sitting together and doing school work or taking breaks and spending all of our money on peppermint mochas has truly gotten me through.

Over the weekend, I went to visit two of my close friends from home. We got hibachi, went to the mall, had a major dance party, and stayed up all night talking. A good support system is so important for mental health.

I hope as this semester is coming to a close you can find healthy outlets to get you through. Study hard, take ample breaks, HYDRATE and get lots of rest (I think this is some advice I need to be taking)!

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.