This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to see the difficulties of being misunderstood when growing out of who you once were. With every moment that passes, people have the opportunity to grow; each day is a fresh start to grow into a better version of yourself. When your world comes beating down and you feel as if you’ve sunken down in the depths beneath the soil, all you can do to get out of that soil, is grow.

When you’re underneath the ground stuck in the soil, you feel so little, so alone. It’s like the times in life when the world feels as if it’s turning upside down, and you’re unaware of what to do or how to stop it. The only way to get out of the soil, is to begin to blossom, to grow. Begin to look for the light in each day and accept what cannot be changed.

As each day passes by, you are given the opportunity to grow, to find the lights in your life that enable your inner flower to blossom. When you’re in the soil and feel so low, the only person that can allow yourself to grow is you. Each day the world blesses you with light to guide you in your growth, to help you with your growth, and to feed your growth.

As time goes on, you feel your inner flower blossoming and it becomes evident that you are growing, however, it isn’t to everyone… only yourself. When finding the light that sheds each and every day, perspectives, mindsets, and priorities change. When your past inner flower dies out, and you’re stuck in the soil, you have no choice than to plant a new seed and grow a new inner flower. Inner flowers die out over time due to different situations, but when you find the right light, it allows a new flower to blossom on the inside. The new flower, however, is only sometimes seen by those that choose to shed their light.

When people break you down and you are stuck feeling lost, take a new path, try new things, meet new people. I believe everything happens for a reason, and even when your you’re so lost you can’t understand the reason just yet, life will still provide you with the opportunities to grow without you even realizing it. With every day that passes, we are unaware of the changes that are being made in our minds, hearts, souls and even bodies. But as the days turn into weeks, and then the weeks turn into months, one day you realize that your new inner flower is not at all what it used to be, you are not at all what you used to be. Sometimes life just happens and before you know it, you’ve changed.

The issue with internal change however is the fact that nobody around you can see it unless they get to know the new you. People say it can’t be done. People say, “people don’t change,” and I for one, challenge that statement. I challenge the fact that cheaters will always be cheaters, bitches will always be bitches or even whores will always be whores. Because the truth is… with life comes experience, and with experience comes maturity and with maturity, comes change. We are all just a collection of our experiences hiding behind an exterior front blocking what is most important about a person, the inside-the mind, the heart, and the soul.

Every day we are given choices, the important thing is to choose to grow and find the light that feeds you. Some days will be filled with darkness, but at the end of the day, the light will always shine, and you will always get the chance to grow.

I am a junior education major, triple certifying in early childhood, elementary, and special education. Aside from my interests in education and child development, I am very passionate about writing. I love the therapeutic aspect of writing in which it allows me to escape from the outside world and enter into a place where it is just me and my thoughts. I believe that writing is the perfect way to express your feeling and emotions, while also allowing others the opportunities to connect and grow. I hope to make a difference by sharing my experiences and stories while also showing woman just like me that they're not alone.
Strategic Communications Major Marketing Minor SBU Her Campus Board SBU Cheerleading  Author of alleyesonher20.wordpress.com