Style > Fashion

Fab or Flop? Dos and Don’ts for This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

In the age of social media, there exists an incessant urge to outdo everyone around you.

While everyone has their own specific niche, especially within their social media bubble, and it can seem intimidating if you choose a more individual style when others dress differently than you, but similar to each other.

In a time characterized by microtrend after microtrend, individualism is more than important, it is vital.

Here are the most pressing dos and don’ts of the winter season so you can be true to yourself and stylish:

Fab: (not NUDE) Neutrals and the occasional statemenT

I am so sick of seeing nude colored clothing and I really don’t think it looks good on anyone.

Invest in more neutral and wearable colors this winter. Think cranberry, black, white, grey (super in), dark brown, dark green, and navy and light blue.

Flop: Statement closet

Out is the 2016-club-esque era of buying clothes as soon as your brain registers “OOOH, SHINY!”

No more statement necklaces, sequin mini-dresses, or Shein going out tops.

Choose a maximum of four statement pieces that you can wear for fun and special occasions. They should be a part of your closet, not the entirety of it.

If you wouldn’t wear it to a wedding, a coffee date, or a family dinner, then why buy it?

Fab: Deep Red Nails

Deep red is the moment this winter.

It looks amazing, especially on skin that hasn’t seen the sun in bit.

Cranberry, burgundy, maroon, carmine, and any other shade of deep red is the *it girl* color of the whole winter, maybe this entire year.

Upgrade that manicure ASAP.

FLOP: Bright Red Nails

Bright colors should stay in the summer sun.

If you’re like me and get super pale in the winter, bold, bright red is your biggest enemy.

STEER CLEAR!

Fab: Free people and Aerie

Free People and Aerie are the best winter gear brands on the market.

They both have athletic lines, Offline and FP Movement, and their clothing, especially Free People’s, lasts, so it’s well worth the price.

It’s cute and definitely worth the investment.

If you are a skier, check out their athletic lines!

Flop: Urban outfitters

Urban Outfitters’ clothing is so ugly and it’s some of the worst quality I have ever seen.

If you want Shein clothing for fifty times the price and even worse fabric quality, go crazy, but if not, stay away.

Fab: Sheer layering tops

Some of the most beautiful winter outfits I have seen have subtly made sheer tops the star of the whole look.

They’re relatively inexpensive and can add a really unique and chic touch to any outfit.

Flop: Flannel

Unless you’re a lumberjack or hate fashion, please let go of the flannel this winter.

Fab: Natural BLondes, Brondes, Brunette, and Redheads

If you have your natural hair color, congratulations! You win this winter.

There is something timeless and beautiful about a natural hair color and snow.

If you can rock a bold color, though, go for it!

Flop: Highlights

I have beef with highlights. They literally never look good.

Dye your hair back to its natural color this winter. PLEASE!

Fab: Bobbi Brown

Bobbi Brown has a Glossier feel, but has even more high quality products and some of the best makeup I have ever used.

The skincare this brand has released is absolutely unreal. Each product is lightly scented and cooling and their makeup truly enhances natural beauty.

Their foundation line has over forty shades, but I’d love to see some more shade diversity for darker shades.

FLOP: Glossier

I promise that I’m qualified to speak on this matter considering I have used their entire skincare line, owned almost every makeup product they’ve ever produced, owned every single Balm Dotcom they have ever made (including limited edition ones), and own four Glossier sweatshirts.

Glossier is officially out for good. Ever since Emily Weiss stepped down, they have lost all creative direction.

Prices have skyrocketed and I officially un-stanned when they retired their cherry Balm Dotcom when they completely revamped their Balm Dotcom packaging and formula. Glossier is living proof of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I also got a super weird vibe from their store in Boston.

The prices make the products no longer worth it and people who buy from there just buy for the aesthetic now.

The moral of the winter story is natural is IN.

Mary Quinn, known as MQ to most, is the events planner for the St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. She is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all events for the chapter, as well as publishing articles weekly. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, serves as the membership chair of the Student Government Association (SGA), is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail.