This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Tom Sturridge has my heart. I’m not even joking.

Summer vacation is a great time to catch up on all the shows you didn’t have the chance to watch during the school year. It’s also when new shows and movies are released. Two Netflix shows that I can’t get out of my head are The Sandman and Echoes.

The Sandman came out on August 5 on Netflix. I remember I was really excited to watch it because I was in a bit of a slump. It seemed like no streaming services had anything good to watch. Everything felt like the same trope being recycled over and over again with no originality.

Now, I never heard of the Sandman before it showed up on my t.v. With a quick Google search, I learned that it’s based on DC Comics written by Neil Gaiman. I’m not a very big fan of DC or Marvel, and I usually avoid any superhero shows or movies. But, I watched the trailer and decided that I’d give The Sandman a try.

It blew my mind. I am absolutely in love with the world that exists in The Sandman. To give a short summary:

Morpheus is the God of dreams. He’s one of the seven Endless (all powerful and immortal beings that are also his family). His realm is called the Dreaming. He is in charge of anything that has to do with your subconscious mind. Your nightmares, daydreams, imaginations all fall under his rule. One day, he is summoned by a sorcerer who thinks he is summoning Death. Morpheus is held captive for over a century. While in captivity, the world spiraled. People would fall asleep and never wake up. They’re in comas. Doctors called it the Sleeping Sickness. When Morpheus escapes he sets out on a mission to return his realm and the human one back to normal.

The Sandman is fresh. It gives a different outlook on what dreams are. Nightmares are an actual personification. They are real, walking beings that take the form of humans. The relationship that Morpheus has with his siblings is just as fascinating. They’re all immortals and still have a very dysfunctional family dynamic. Except that their problems and actions have very severe consequences. Over the course of the show I saw the character development in Morpheus. It was slow but it emphasized that no matter who you are or how old you are it’s never too late to change. If the world around you is different you can either adapt or fail. Morpheus chose to adapt and grow. He was lovable from the beginning to the end. I highly recommend that anyone interested in fantasy and DC watch this show. Morpheus isn’t a superhero but I’ll be on his side any day.

The other show that I watched is Echoes. I actually finished it last night. Echoes is about two twin sisters that cause quite a bit of trouble. It’s not a show that I can say I’m obsessed with. It left me very confused. Not confused in a good way. Confused in a run-that-back-and-put-more-episodes way. The plot started deteriorating when too many new twists kept getting introduced. I felt like I had to make a little chart just to know what was going on with the characters.

It started off very well. Here’s a short summary:

Leni and Gina are two twin sisters that lead two very different lives. Leni lives on a farm with her husband and daughter. Gina lives in Los Angeles with her husband. However, these two have a secret. They like to swap lives once a year on their birthdays. All is going well until one day when Leni goes missing. Gina starts to uncover things about their past and everything in their world crumbles as secrets are revealed.

You can tell that I’m not very enthusiastic about it. It’s something to watch if you like Netflix and can’t find anything else. You can use it as a filler show for something else you’re interested in, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a fun casual night.

Two shows that I am excited for are:

The Real Housewives of Potomac (season seven)

The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City (season three)

Now, these two are action and drama filled enough to last me for months.

Hello! I'm a senior Journalism student with a minor in Criminology. I have a love for books, anime and cats. You can often find me curled up on the couch with a romance novel while sipping some coffee.