Style > Beauty

Dying your hair feels powerful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I finally did it!

I’ve gone from a brunette to a redhead. And it feels AMAZING.

What is it about dying your hair a different color that makes you feel so good?

I don’t know but I love it.

It wasn’t an impulsive decision. In fact, I have been waiting to dye it for a loooong time. Last year at the beginning of April I got a light brown ombre with my black hair. It was cool for a while but then it started fading and my hair grew so eventually it looked dull and boring.

Then a few months ago I got that feeling. That “it’s time for a change” feeling. And the change was to dye my hair a different color. Now, I had two colors I wanted. Pink or red.

For pink, I wanted it to be a pastel pink. Very soft and calm. Just in time for spring.

For red, I wanted it to be a dark red. A deep burgundy color that will make me feel a little more edgy. But it felt like more of a fall thing.

Skip ahead to a few weeks ago. I’m scrolling through Pinterest (God I love Pinterest) and I see it. The one. The color I want.

It’s a caramel brown with some blonde highlights. Gorgeous, shiny and just the pop of color I needed.

So, when I go home for my midterm break I go in for consultations at two different salons. The second salon ended up being my best choice because not only was it cheaper but the atmosphere and the people were so welcoming.

The Salon Professional Academy isn’t just a salon. It’s a cosmetology school. The students work with experienced and licensed professionals on hair, nails and skincare. It is the perfect place to go for a manicure, facial and a haircut without breaking the bank.

The students are diverse and all have different hair types and colors. I loved it.

I came back a few days later to get the job done and I was super excited.

My roots and hair (not the ends) were a virgin black, so it took some time for the color to lift.

When it was washed out, I was shocked. I wasn’t brown. I was ginger with some highlights. And I didn’t know how to feel about it.

But, I was told to trust the process. The students blow-dried my hair and began straightening it.

Then, I could finally see all the colors and dimensions. It was beautiful.

Brown, red and blonde beautifully blended together to create this color that I don’t even know how to name.

It was a bit shocking to see my hair so light. I felt like my skin was washed out a bit but I think it’s because I was so used to having dark hair.

After I was done and went outside in the sun I glowed. No joke, my hair was shiny, glowing and beautiful.

(By the way the whole process from start to finish took five hours. Shoutout to the people that do hair. You guys rock!)

I unintentionally became a redhead, and I wasn’t mad about it! I had secretly wanted it and got my wish.

It feels like I am a brand-new woman. Old Karolina? We don’t know her.

It’s a rush. Like I am playing a different character but it is actually just me with red hair.

In a way, I am solidifying my independence and moving farther away from my childhood. These are my choices and mine alone. Life is all about being yourself and what better way to express who you are then with your hair.

What color will I do next? Pink? Blue? Who knows?

But I’m not going back to black hair anytime soon.

Hello! I'm a senior Journalism student with a minor in Criminology. I have a love for books, anime and cats. You can often find me curled up on the couch with a romance novel while sipping some coffee.