This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As of today, March 22, I am forty days of no nicotine!

I can admit I was the biggest hypocrite when it came to vaping. I was always the person to go on and on about how I was never going to vape. At a social event with friends I was offered to try my friend’s nicotine out. This wasn’t the first time it happened, but the first time I fell for it. Flashforward a year later and we have a nicotine addiction. 

It’s crazy to think how fast that social vaping became a regularity of mine. I can remember the first time I went to buy a vape of my own perfectly. I knew there was the potential of opening a door to this becoming a daily thing, but I didn’t think that would happen I truly believed this was going to be a one-time-only purchase. 

This became a problem very quickly. Vaping became a habit of mine, almost a part of my routine throughout my day.

To turn this into perspective, when my vape was not in my presence, other people didn’t want to be either. 

I was embarrassed to have a dependency on little flavored sticks but that was the reality. 

Now, I am also the biggest hypochondriac. I know, kind of ironic for a hypochondriac to pick up a habit like vaping. Can you imagine the anxiety that rushed through me every time I experienced any time up of chest pain? It sent me in a spiral. 

The health perspective is a huge incentive to stop vaping, do not get me wrong. This was a big push for me to quit. 

Although, I am not gonna lie, this was not the only motivation for me to quit vaping. Money was a huge factor. Twenty-five dollars each. For a girl who balls on a budget, it was crazy for me to put into perspective how much money was being spent. It’s crazy when you total it up. 

Trust me, this was not an easy process. I went through multiple phases before I quit entirely where I would intend to quit and quickly would fall back into old habits.

Finding it difficult to be around others vaping is still a normal experience of mine. Multiple people in my life vape, but just because I stopped doesn’t mean everyone else will. Self-control is my best friend 

If you told me four or five months ago I made it to this point, I’m not too sure if I would have believed you. 

I am damn proud of myself for making it to this point. 

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.