This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As I conclude my first year of college, I reflect on all that I have experienced. I have learned countless invaluable lessons — many of which took place outside of the classroom. I have noticed that college is a time when many discover themselves, especially in a romantic context. As college students, you have the ability to meet people you would not have otherwise met. For many, this can lead to unexpected friendships and sometimes romantic relationships. Below are the most important lessons I have observed from college relationships.

1) Timing is everything

For better or worse, timing is everything. I have known people who started or ended relationships solely due to timing. College is a challenging time for practically anyone to enter into a committed relationship. Between jobs, classes, internships and extracurriculars, it takes immense effort to prioritize another person. If you date someone from college, you may be from different hometowns. Conversely, dating someone from home may mean school years apart. My advice: there is never a truly perfect time for anything in life. If two people are willing to put time and effort into a relationship, it can be successful. On the same token, if a busy schedule or timing may inhibit a connection between you and someone else, do not start a relationship for the sake of being in one. 

2) COMMUNICATE

This is a non-negotiable for me in all friendships and relationships. It is simple but often neglected. As an adult, it is important to express what is on your mind. You should never enter into a serious relationship with anyone if you cannot openly talk with them about anything, from the little details about your day to serious conversations. Communication is emotional maturity. My advice: don’t date those who can’t communicate. 

3) KNOW YOUR INTENTIONS

Oftentimes, relationships are unexpected. This is a beautiful part of life, meeting people you didn’t even know existed and forming a connection. However, physical or emotional connection is not enough to make a relationship last. Ask yourself what you are hoping to get out of any relationship. What are the intentions of both parties? Date with purpose. My advice: Always be honest with yourself. Ask yourself why you want to be in a relationship with someone. If you cannot think of substantial reasons, a committed relationship may not be the answer. 

4) EMBRACE SINGLENESS

One of the most important life lessons I have learned is that happiness must come from yourself. If you are not content alone, simply entering a relationship will not make you happy. There is a stigma around being single, especially in your young adult years as your peers begin to enter into serious relationships. Despite this, being single is freeing. My advice: It’s better to be alone rather than in bad company. Protect your peace and protect your energy.

5) NEVER SETTLE

Another life tidbit I have picked up on from my incredible friends and family: never settle. Ever. Life is too short to settle for mediocrity. If anyone ever makes you feel like you are asking for too much in a relationship, drop them. You deserve everything you could possibly want (and more!) in a relationship. My advice: Come up with non-negotiables in relationships. Don’t settle until they are met and exceeded. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.