This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Before I begin talking about the evolution series let me just start by saying this is a tad of a spoiler alert…

On the night of Thanksgiving, Paramount plus released a spin-off series of Criminal Minds called Criminal Minds Evolution. This is a whole series, it but began by releasing two episodes. As a huge Criminal Minds fan, I was filled with excitement when the series was announced especially since the end of the original series following COVID-19. The directors took this national pandemic and fit it into their show. How is this done?

The spinoff starts with all former agents of the BAU split up in separate locations, as we ended in the previous season. Rossi, Emily, JJ, and Luke are stationed at Quantico working on a case beginning to spiral out of control. As the unsub continues to target families the team recognizes this case can’t be solved without a technological analyst, our girl Penelope Garcia.

Also from the original season of criminal minds specifically the last season, Penolople had chosen to leave the BAU. Not a problem for viewers when the intention was the show coming to an end. With the start-up of the evolution spinoff, I continued to watch questioning if she would make an appearance. As the team discovered the weak link to solving the case Luke persuaded Garcia to come back. This was kind of a moment for these characters: this love-hate relationship amplifies what was previously there with agent Morgan.

With Garcia back, they easily solved the case but not as easily as they quite expected. Agent Tara who was working in a different location had found a link in her case that spiked a common linkage. This led to a discovery. Over the course of the pandemic serial killers were unable to go out and hunt because people were sheltered in their houses. This did not stop those urges and they took this time upon themselves to create a serial killer social network where they communicated during covid and now used it to work together. Playing a role in the pandemic, the evolution spinoff created a series channeled around a serial killer platform.

With Criminal Minds Evolution being released on Paramount plus, rather than Netflix, this unleashed a whole new aspect for the show. To start Rossi has always had a temper but not in the way it is now, they are now allowed to swear and take his temper to a whole new level. Next Tara is fresh out of a divorce and introduces her new significant other, representing an LGBTQ+ relationship. Last but not least let’s talk about graphics because they got really intense. Criminal Minds went from not showing much to showing blood and bodies right on the television.

With this new spinoff of the series and the new pieces included in the show, I can confirm it is addicting and highly recommend to watch.

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.