This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I am guilty of going to the thrift store and picking out sparkly dresses and graphic tee shirts with squirrels. Although these are fun finds, I never end up wearing them. And although these things were cheap, I would be mortified if someone ever presented me with the receipt of everything I have ever spent thrifting. This has motivated me to create a capsule wardrobe.

Capsule wardrobes are a collection of clothes that are thoughtfully put together to maximize the number of outfits you can create. It is all about the essentials.

The capsule wardrobe originated in the 1970s with the owner of a London boutique, Wardrobe. In 1985 this concept took off with designer Donna Karan’s capsule collection “Seven Easy Pieces”. This collection was designed to take a woman from work to a night out. Today this concept emphasizes sustainability, affordability, and of course… the vibes.

The benefit of building a capsule wardrobe is that it saves you time from searching for an outfit, you save money, and you have less stuff.

Step one to achieving this minimalist closet is to go through your clothes. You may want to get rid of items that you haven’t worn in a year, stuff that does not fit, things that you bought because they are “trendy”, and items that don’t fit your core style.

I know donating things can be difficult for some. I help my best friend go through her closet at least once a year and I have to remind her that it is okay to donate the candy-cane printed dress her grandma bought her for Christmas five years ago.

Step two is to choose your core pieces based on the season it is. You want these pieces to be practical and fit your current lifestyle. In addition to functionality, it is important to see how well the pieces can mix and match with other clothes. My goal is to purchase things that are neutral.

As far as tops, it is crucial to have good shirts you can layer. I have white and black T-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, and tank tops and some beige and brown ones too. These can be mixed and matched in a multitude of ways. You can wear them under flannel, jean jackets, blazers, etc. I also have a couple of fancier blouses that I know are comfortable and do not require a complicated bra situation.

When it comes to the bottoms, finding the right jeans is pivotal. I have four different washes of jeans so I can mix them up. I got rid of all of the jeans in my dresser that are cute, but uncomfortable. The goal is to have every item in the closet be something you want to reach for.

In addition to jeans, I am partial to comfy bottoms such as sweatpants and yoga pants. I have a few of those in neutral colors. I have a couple of dressier bottoms for interviews or events. I also am a proponent of long skirts. You can dress them up or down and they can be worn in different seasons.

As for shoes, I think it’s best to have a core set that coincides with your everyday life. White sneakers are my go-to. It’s also good to have a pair of nude or black heels or flats for dressier events.

To purchase these items I always recommend thrifting because it saves money and it’s fun to hunt for things. I also really like H&M because they have a whole basics section. I know people also find good basics on Amazon. The upside to the capsule wardrobe is that it is minimal, so you can invest in items that are better quality, and will last you longer.

Step three is to create 10 everyday outfits with your new capsule wardrobe. Having pre-planned outfits really takes the pressure off of trying to figure out what you are going to wear 10 minutes before you have an obligation. Before I heard about the capsule wardrobe, I had those outfits that I always go back to and I call those my “classic Kim fits”. During this process, you can find outfit inspiration from Pinterest, notice what you are missing in your wardrobe, and possibly recognize things you can get rid of.

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.