This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Melissa Viviane Jefferson, better known as Lizzo, is one of the biggest artists in the industry right now. Though she began her music career a few years before, Lizzo gained mainstream popularity in 2019 with her third studio album “Cuz I Love You.” This album produced hits like “Juice,” “Truth Hurts,” and the title track “Cuz I Love You.” More recently, Lizzo has found success with her fourth album “Special.” This album featured popular songs like “2 Be Loved (Am I Ready)” and “About Damn Time.” Lizzo’s songs often feature a message of positivity and self-love. She often expresses how she can rely on herself for her own happiness and doesn’t need a significant other for validation.

Lizzo is a four-time Grammy winner including Record of the Year in 2023 for her song “About Damn Time.”Along with her Grammys, she owns several BET awards, multiple iHeart music awards, a Billboard Music award, an MTV award, a People’s Choice Award and more! In her Record of the Year acceptance speech, Lizzo shared she vowed to only make positive music. When she started, that type of music wasn’t mainstream and that made this win so much more shocking for her. In the same speech, she also mentioned that she is so proud to be a part of music centered around women loving their bodies and being themselves.  

Even with all her awards and accolades, she never lets the fame go to her head. She always stays true to who she is and doesn’t forget to give back. Lizzo supports numerous charities and uses her platforms on social media to advocate for them. She stands with Planned Parenthood to support reproductive rights and annually hosts a Juneteenth “Give Back” event. Lizzolovesyou.com is a website she started after the death of George Floyd back in 2020 to provide information on donating and supporting the black community. She’s also partnering with Live Nation to donate to Planned Parenthood. She will donate $500,000 of tour proceeds to Planned Parenthood which Live Nation has promised to match.

Lizzo isn’t just great because of her music. She is an icon all on her own. Authenticity is extremely hard to find. Lizzo is always unapologetically herself. She doesn’t hide parts of her that others might, like her attitude and her struggles with body image and self-esteem. Lizzo is extremely outspoken when it comes to her body and supporting other women as well. Yitty is Lizzo’s revolutionary shape wear brand. She spent three years working to perfect this brand. It isn’t merely sized up and down for different women, but specifically designed for every different body type. It aims to make women feel sexy, confident and shameless. Yitty is the first of its kind to have inclusivity, comfort, and fashion at the heart of its creation.

Because of how honest and candid she is, Lizzo often faces backlash for her weight, her attitude and her personality. However, her fans are always quick to jump to her defense because of the incredible impact she’s had on them. Fans often share on TikTok or Twitter how Lizzo’s refusal to bow to her haters has inspired them to do the same. Her constant attitude of positivity, kindness and self-love should be a message to everyone to not let anyone tear them down for any reason.

Delainey Muscato is a junior journalism major with philosophy and sociology minors. This year she is excited to be the brand deal manager, assistant events planner, and senior editor for the SBU chapter of Her Campus. In her weekly article for Her Campus, she usually writes about her personal experiences at college, as an intern, or just in life. Delainey is excited for her second year as a member of Her Campus and can’t wait to help new members be just as engaged in the club as her. Outside of Her Campus, Delainey is a very active journalist. She writes for a newspaper in Ellicottville, The Villager. These articles typically detail local events or highlight people in the area. She also just began writing for Tap into Greater Olean. This news site covers stories directly rooted in the Olean and Allegany area. This summer, Delainey spent five weeks studying abroad is Sorrento, Italy. In her free time, Delainey loves to spend time with her friends and family. She spends a lot of time reading on her porch at home. Delainey also loves to take her dog Nella on walks. Her favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends. Her favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves music and spends a lot of time discovering new music and perfecting her playlists. www.linkedin.com/in/delainey-muscato-b10134282