This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Solána Imani Rowe, known professionally as SZA, is an American singer and songwriter. It’s hard to go a day without hearing the name SZA, and for good reason. The 33-year-old is making history each day for her musical talents. Her 2022 album “SOS” has broken countless precedents while remaining at the top of Billboard charts. Only being SZA’s second studio album, “SOS” has quickly become an iconic piece of pop culture that can be enjoyed across all cultures and ages. 

As Her Campus at St. Bonaventure looks to honor Black excellence during Black History Month, I immediately thought of the impact that SZA has had on me as an individual. In my opinion, she epitomizes style, confidence and class like no other. She is my ultimate role model. 

I remember discovering SZA in high school and being amazed by the energy she radiated. While she promoted her personal brand and own music, she never failed to support other artists and friends of hers. As I began to listen to her music, I found that her songs could cross genre boundaries. According to Spotify, SZA’s musical icons included the dynamic and diverse talents of Billie Holiday, Björk and WU-Tang Clan- whose RZA inspired her stage name. 

SZA can be found on all of my playlists- from exercise to confidence booster and self-care playlists. A trailblazer in contemporary R&B, SZA’s authentic persona communicates to others that true success comes from staying true to oneself. 

SZA’s accolades prove that her work is highly valued by the public. Even before releasing her second album, SZA had already collected five Top 40 hits. The star signed with Top Dawg Entertainment back in 2011, even prior to any of her music being released. Once the pair had made an agreement, they wasted no time in creating music. In April 2014, her debut album “Z” was released as a third EP. Featuring key musicians such as Kendrick Lamar and Chance the Rapper, the album set the stage for SZA’s career, which would continue to include high-profile collaborations. 

In my opinion, SZA has succeeded in creating her own genre-bending and collaborative career. By partnering with other major artists including Post Malone, Cardi B, and Doja Cat, SZA is able to tap into several different fan bases simultaneously. 

Being born to a Muslim father and Christian mother, SZA faced adversity during childhood. Arab News reports that after adopting Islam herself, SZA constantly felt that she was under scrutiny. Further, she felt compelled to stop wearing traditional faith coverings after the events of 9/11 out of fear that her community would view her differently. 

During her time as a college student, SZA transferred to four different colleges, the final being Delaware State University. After an internal struggle with choosing school or music, she ultimately chose to drop out of college during her last semester to pursue her passions. 

In an article with People Magazine, SZA explains that while obtaining a college education the expectation placed on her didn’t fit into the future she had envisioned for herself. 

SZA epitomizes a strong female role model, during Black History Month, as well as all months throughout the year. She continually proves that the best success comes as a product honoring one’s authentic self. She has stayed true to herself throughout the entire process, even when that meant breaking or disregarding societal expectations. By continuing to create unparalleled lyrical art, I sense that we are just seeing the beginning of SZA’s potential. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.