Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Irish Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is an Irish holiday commemorating St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It also is a day to celebrate the arrival of Christianity to Ireland. This has turned into a celebration of Ireland in general. People also honor Irish culture and heritage.

Irish immigrants have brought over their traditions to America. Some of their traditions changed a little, such as having corned beef and cabbage, instead of Irish bacon and cabbage, since corned beef was more affordable.

Eating Irish soda bread is another tradition. It is bread made with baking soda instead of yeast, so it was quicker and cheaper for immigrants to make.

People wear green to be invisible to leprechauns. It is said that leprechauns cannot see green, so those who wear it won’t be pinched by any leprechauns. That’s why people pinch those who don’t wear green on the holiday.

Parades are a common celebration in many cities. These cheerful, festive marches are put on across the globe, including in the United States, Ireland, Australia and Russia. People dress up in green and wear Irish hats, badges, shamrocks and more. They watch people in kilts march. They listen to bagpipes and play traditional Irish music. They see dancers leap during Irish step dancing.

Other Irish bands and singers to listen to on St. Patrick’s Day include U2, The Cranberries, Snow Patrol, Bono, Niall Horan and many more.  

Many landmarks around the world turn green on St. Patrick’s Day. The Chicago River is dyed green, The Empire State Building, Sydney Opera House, Irish Parliament Building and even Niagara Falls are all lit green for the holiday.

The shamrock is used to symbolize St. Patrick’s Day. It symbolizes the rebirth of spring in Ireland. St. Patrick is also said to have used shamrocks as a metaphor for the Holy Trinity since shamrocks have three leaves.

The phrase “Kiss Me, I’m Irish,” which is adorned across many shirts, pins, stickers and more on St. Patrick’s Day, originates from the Blarney Stone in Ireland. It is said that those who kiss the stone on the Blarney Castle receive the gift of eloquence and persuasive speech. People still travel to the stone to kiss the rock for these gifts. Others say kissing someone who is Irish is the next best thing, hence the saying “Kiss Me, I’m Irish.”

There are many ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and to honor Irish culture and heritage. Have a happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!