BTC MAIN?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC MAIN?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Life > Academics

Best Study Spots on Campus and How to Make the Most of Your College Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I couldn’t pick just one topic. . .

Years of school have taught me many ways to perfect my study habits. One of the most important factors in pronounced study habits is the location. This can seem like a no-brainer, but I have found this detail can change how the information is absorbed. I normally studied in my room throughout high school simply because home and school were separate. Then, I lived on-campus and off-campus, so my habits changed. More resources are available on college campuses, like libraries, classrooms, study lounges and cafes. First, I had to understand that I accomplished more when I studied or did homework alone (minus studying for tests with other classmates or project work). I truly need to be alone when I need to focus, so I go to the silent floor in my library and sit by myself. I put my headphones in and plan out everything on my to-do list. For me, the time of the day also has a huge impact on how much work will get done. Sometimes, I am a night-owl, but I also don’t like waiting until the last minute to get assignments done. I try to do homework between my classes, but sometimes my list pile up.

My favorite study spot on-campus is definitely the library and my desk in my house off-campus. Both provide just the right amount of drive. I feel comfortable when I’m at my desk, but not too comfortable if I am doing homework in my bed. In between classes and meetings, I go to the library. Or, during midterm or final week, I’ll stay until very late. For example, I’m on the third floor right now and can focus way more. I also position my back to distractions. Some locations I wouldn’t recommend are the dining hall and the gym (yes, I’ve seen people study there). Those places are far too busy. When the weather is nice I study outside in the grass or on picnic tables.

Over the past four years, I’ve gotten very familiar with the town my college resides. I was also a reporter last year here, so I saw the town(s) in a different way than most college students. I formed relationships with residents and really began to understand how the town functions. When you first arrive at college, take a drive or walk around the community. As time goes on, depending on how big the college town is (mine is pretty small) you will probably go out with your friends habitually. Most likely the town will be drastically different than the town or city you’re used to. Accept it and see what it has to offer. Some of my favorite memories have been made in my small college town, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. My advice is to go out and explore. I’ve also found some nice places to study in town. There will be some aspects of the town you don’t necessarily favor, but that’s normal.

Every school year will uncover new opportunities and places for you. Learn from yourself and where you study best, and pay attention to the new town atmosphere.

Hi, my name is Marnique, and I'm a senior journalism major at St. Bonaventure University. I love to read and write!